1900's farmhouse gable end to render... The follow up!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Some of you may remember my original post

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=221023

when I was looking for advice on rendering my newly purchased farmhouse??

I'm just back to do a follow up and say thanks to all who provided advice and gave me the confidence to do it!

I finished to job around September and whilst a few professionals might not think it's great I'm delighted with it. This winter was the worst since records began; 35 days below freezing including 10 days between -10oC and -18oC day and night!!

I was up the wall yesterday giving it another coat of paint.. Not a hollow spot or crack in sight!! If it can survive that winter I have high hopes for it!

Before, during and after pictures below!

6bcbd71b.jpg
peeling the blown stuff off

589b88dc.jpg
this bit was pretty easy!

3c2e8396.jpg
let the sun and air at the bricks for a few months

f7fafe6d.jpg
scratch coat on. Opted to leave top part of render on as it was soild!

a88bb776.jpg
scratch coat drying

d8f50c0b.jpg
top coat on. Left for six weeks then got a quick layer of paint on it before the frosts came

7dcf2f1f.jpg
second coat of paint on yesterday

4ddf6261.jpg
not the smoothest render you'll ever see but it goes with the 'wonky' house well!!

So there you go! I'm delighted. I actually enjoyed doing it! :)
Had help from my elderly friend. Was able to borrow a scaffold. Probably took about six days to apply each coat but well worth it!

Total cost for materials was around £450, plus £200 to my elderly friend.

Not bad at all considering quotes were around £4,500/£5,000.

Superb!

Sponsored Links
Well done :D job satisfaction.....cant beat it....plus you saved 4k.

Thanks folks. Have to add I really enjoyed doing it...
Maybe I have a future in this?!?

I had an elderly couple stop outside yesterday when I was in the garden. They said they walked down my way a few times a year but hadn't been down since last summer. They were impressed with my render, so much so they asked for the number of the guy that did it as they needed some done at their house. When I told them I did it myself they asked if I could give them a quote?!? I said thanks but no thanks, best get a pro!

Once the frost risk has passed I'll be rendering the low garden wall and painting it White too... Should look lovely after that!

:) delighted!

Sponsored Links
Fair Play !

Hope you found our comments useful -

anything that you found went well/ was tricky?

Were we exaggerating the task , or was it fair comment?

Thanks for the update and pics.

Micilin. Followed your instructions to the letter. 4-1 scratch coat with waterproofer, 5-1 finish coat, spinning as I went.

Was able to get the sand from the local quarry.... Much cheapness!! Collected with works trailer.

Once I started doing the scratch coat I was a bit worried I'd bit off more than I could chew.... But after a few hours at it I felt very confident.

I practiced on the inside of the garden wall a few weeks before starting so that made me more confident. To be honest the only real problem was the sponging.... Some days were warmer than others. Some bits were able to be sponged an hour after applying, others had to wait four hours... Just depended on how hot and sunny it was.

Measured the mix out exactly every time. Think that was the secret to having it go as planned!?! Lots of research and planning... Mr OCD!!

All I need to do now is do the garden wall then paint it and my rendering is complete!

Yes, you were all right, Its a big job... But if you go into it eyes open, fully planned and with the time to do it right, you should be ok!

Many thanks again to all the helpers from this site... You saved me £4000 and made me a happy man! ;)

Glad to have helped.

I'd be the very same myself as regards research etc

(Edit - and yes, mix consistency is very important)

Cost saving was great, but job satisfaction ..... priceless.

And if it didn't go well, all you needed was to pile the logs higher!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back