1900's farmhouse gable end to re-render help please

Okay -

IF the brickwork is in a bad way, the hp gear that external mentioned will let you mesh the whole lot and stabilise the background. I would advise filling in any big holes with mortar first. And bed the mesh into a coat of hp12, flatten it in and lap joints 100mm. There are marks on the mesh to help you

http://www.k-rend.co.uk/media/04a8a60bf6884265bf8a995bf0f2fbf9HP12.pdf

or weber's product, rendaid

http://www.netweber.co.uk/uploads/tx_weberproductpage/G.011_weber.rend_aid.pdf

You can scratch these, although when meshing, I like to run a roller over it which gives it a stipple for a key.

Mesh here

http://www.lordanddowning.co.uk/buyAccessories.php?id=72

look at the 1 m rolls.

If you only have some areas that need meshing and don't want to buy the HP12, either for cost or because you are more familiar with s&c,you can use sand and cement for the base coat.

Rake out any loose, fill and repair holes etc, and coat with

4:1 (washed fine sharp sand 3mm down :eek:pc) with waterproofer

scratch as you go and get this coat as flat as you can.

float coat with same sand and lime, no waterproofer

5:1:1 .

You could go weaker with both mixes as it is old soft bricks and mortar, 5:1 scratch and 6:1:1 float.

If your scratch coat is flat, you will find top coat is easier and drys more uniformly. If you can rule it off and float it, good - but if not, flatten with trwoel and sponge it.

If you are not worried about it being flat and the rest of the house is like that, as long as you are happy with it , fine!

Remember dpc at bottom (hard to line up bellcast with chemical dpc), cloaking at top

Sponsored Links
Micilin, thanks for your great help!

... And to everyone else for their input. I'm feeling pretty confident now and hope to start practising on the garden wall (made of same brick) by May.

I'll let you all know how it goes! :)

If this is a farmhouse property and is...well...rather elderly, then don't expect the gable end to be all that stable.

It may not behave itself after the render has been applied. :!:

Sponsored Links
If this is a farmhouse property and is...well...rather elderly, then don't expect the gable end to be all that stable.

It may not behave itself after the render has been applied. :!:
Status quo; A great band as well !

What ever you say,
You pay your money,
You take your choice :cool:

c'mon guys,,,, sing along wiv Rough,, :rolleyes: :LOL:

What ever you say,
You pay your money,
You take your choice :cool:

c'mon guys,,,, sing along wiv Rough,, :rolleyes: :LOL:

Whatever you need
Whatever you use
Whatever you win
Whatever you loose

& with Gringo:cool:

it's gotta be better that the general forum polls & usual crap :LOL:

Pictures of matchstick men,

Bet you lot dont remember that one I think it was their first hit in the sixties.... :LOL:

As for the gable ,I would mesh the whole lot, "scut it" then scratch( 5-1 s/c with w/p)
Then float it out 6-1-1 .if it's going to move it will move what ever you put on it...

Pictures of matchstick men,
“& you; mirages of matchstick men & you; all I ever see of them is you"

& then all those dangalong guitar riffs;

My god Roy, I thought I was old!

As for the gable ,I would mesh the whole lot, "scut it" then scratch( 5-1 s/c with w/p)
Then float it out 6-1-1 .if it's going to move it will move what ever you put on it...
Enough of the detail, now back to it;

"Your'e showing off
Your' showing out
You look for trouble
Turn around, give me a shout"

I take it all
you squeeze me dry
And now today
You couldn't even say goodbye.
I could take you home on the midnight train again
I could make you an offer you can't refuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back