Gable End Render Question (Repair or Replace)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, I own a old Sandstone terraced house in Lancashire, purchased a few months ago - Suffering from penetrating damp on the sand and cement gable end. (some of which is pretty bad)

The gable end has been totally covered in Storm Dry a few months ago, we've been told conflicting information regarding the best action / root cause for the gable end and would like to hear any experiences or suggestions. (If you need more info please let me know)

A local builder has mentioned while he was repairing the lead lined gutters that the pointing on the roof edges (not sure of the terminology here, but where the concrete slabs are at the end of the roof above the gable end) - has degraded and he can see new pointing over old pointing (he suspects a bodge job) and this could be causing water to ingress down the inside of the walls. (there is damp in both upstairs rooms - Pics below) -Pointing booked to be replaced in Jan

However, today I noticed a crack in the render (suspect the recent cold weather has expanded it) - (Internal 1 pic below) is right below the crack. - the house is also very prone to condensation, particularly challenging when you need the heating on and it's -5 outside! - We are running dehumidifiers and have a date booked in January to have full vents installed to help with the condensation. (Internal pic 2 is the other room upstairs - left hand side of the render)

I've been advised to remove the render totally and replace with pebble dash (as the gable end takes a total battering from the weather due to open fields) of course this is a very expensive option; with the house being made of sandstone does this have any impact?

Given all the aforementioned information, is the render viable for a repair or does the whole lot need to come down? Could it be both a pointing and a render problem combined?

Are there any other options?

Again, thank you for taking the time to read.

Attachments

• Render Close.jpg
    Render Close.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Render Crack.jpg
    Render Crack.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Render.jpg
    Render.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 29
  • Internal.jpg
    Internal.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 29
  • Internal 2.jpg
    Internal 2.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back