1930s house - Asbestos risk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Just moved house into 1930s detached. Slowly discovering all the DIY bodges that have been implemented before!

A previous owner had converted one of the bedrooms to a shower room. We are about to start work on reverting it back to a bedroom. Fairly simple: pull of tiles, remove plumbing, remove false ceiling, replaster, decorate, done.

We had a full building survey as well as a homebuyer's report (free with mortgage). The homebuyer's report stated that "Due to the age of the property, presence of asbestos in walls and ceilings is suspected". I think it is just a standard statement they would add into any property of this age. Neither report picked out any specific instances of asbestos.

Anyway, the internal walls are all solid (some protude into the loft space and they are brick). I have pulled off a tile in the bathroom we plan to revert to a bedroom, and underneath it just looks like a layer of paint a couple of layers of plaster (see pic).

None of this stuff looks like asbestos to me - the lower coat of plaster is grey and rough - looks like thermalite blocks, but probably plaster since I think the wall is normal brick (red). The top layers look like a skim coat followed by paint.

Interested in your opinions:

+ Any of this stuff likely to contain asbestos?
+ If my walls are all solid, apart from textured coatings, what possible sources of asbestos could there be?

Thanks a lot,
Ben

Sponsored Links
Sorry folks - wrong forum. I'll move to plastering/rendering which where I thought I was.

Ta!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back