1970s Armitage Shanks Symphonic Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last 20 years, since we moved into our house we have had the above toilet which has worked brilliantly. However over recent months the flush has declined, to the point now where on flushing the water level rises to the top and slowly drains away, despite not being blocked.

Having researched online it appears the "airex bomb" has gone. Now I have two questions, I initially thought I would simply buy the part and replace it myself (I'm not a plumber in any way!) but it seems simple enough. However, having looked it seems there are so many different types of bomb I wouldn't know which one I needed until I took the toilet apart to find out, and secondly is it worth it? Or should I bite the bullet and just have a new toilet installed? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Well worth repairing - new pans are not a patch on a double trap siphonic pan.

A decent plumber merchant will be able to supply an Armitage bomb.

By the way, love the idea of a "symphonic" WC :)

+1 there. I much prefer the old WC's, most were simple but devastatingly effective. Much more so than modern pans which were designed to be water saving, but actually seem to need more water as several flushes are often required to clear the pan, whereas the older WC's would clear first flush. The Royal Doulton syphonic pans were a beggar for blocking though, parents had one in their bathroom and I bought a house with them upstairs and down, Dad kept a plunger by the WC!

DIY repair is possible, Google the part and you'll soon find a supplier I think. Fitting, it is vital the bomb makes an airtight seal on all mating surfaces on/in the pan or the syphonic action won't work. (See now why you got symphonic! :LOL:) New washers are a must, and I'd strongly recommend a new doughnut washer, and fixings bolts/nuts/washers if any doubt on the condition of the old one.

Sponsored Links
Well worth keeping as above, not at home at the moment but think Toolstation sell them, search for airex.

Quick update, I took your advice, and got the old girl repaired. She's working a beauty now....here's to the next 50 years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back