1993 Eunos MK1 MOT fail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My Eunos failed it's MOT today, mainly on the exhaust (Silencer and flex section).
I haven't investigated the silencer problem yet, but last year it failed on th flex section, so I fixed it with bandage, passed the test and ordered a new flex section.
The new one is the same size as the pipe I'm connecting it to.
What is the best way of connecting 'same' size exhaust sections?
Cheers Camerart.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Generally would use an exhaust sleeve, but not always easy on a flexy. Depends how much room you have

Unless it has an oversize non-flexi sleeve at either end allowing you to cut the original fixed pipe, slip it over and clamp it up, it would be best to take it to an exhaust centre and have it welded in.

Sponsored Links
Unless it has an oversize non-flexi sleeve at either end allowing you to cut the original fixed pipe, slip it over and clamp it up, it would be best to take it to an exhaust centre and have it welded in.
Hi M,
Last year I asked exhaust centres if they would fit my flexy, but they wouldn't.
Perhaps an independant garage may do it, also they could weld up the silencer.
I'll investiagte this too.
Thanks both,
C.

I wouldn't weld it generally. The flexy section is always the weakest link and a welded joint will just cause aggro if it needs another section replacing

I wouldn't weld it generally. The flexy section is always the weakest link and a welded joint will just cause aggro if it needs another section replacing
Hi C,
It also crossed my mind that a straight joint stainless to mild steel may not be good.

I will see if I can roll a sheet of mild, so it overlaps, and covers the flexy stub and the cut pipe, each end, with gum and two clamps.
C

If it’s an original part of the system, how was it incorporated Into the system in the first place - welded or bolt in?

Hi C,
It also crossed my mind that a straight joint stainless to mild steel may not be good.

I will see if I can roll a sheet of mild, so it overlaps, and covers the flexy stub and the cut pipe, each end, with gum and two clamps.
C
That won’t last. How about one of those companies that supply/fit a stainless steel system with a lifetime guarantee?

That won’t last. How about one of those companies that supply/fit a stainless steel system with a lifetime guarantee?
Hi M,
They cost about what the car's worth.
This is my second 'fun' vehicle, and I just keep it working as cheaply and simply as I can.
I'm a bit too old for lying under cars these days :)
C

Hi M,
They cost about what the car's worth.
This is my second 'fun' vehicle, and I just keep it working as cheaply and simply as I can.
I'm a bit too old for lying under cars these days :)
C
Right. Coke can, jubilee clips and Gun Gum it is then! ;)

Sponsored Links
Back