Why would somebody advertise a car that has failed the last 2 MOT tests?

It’s also an easy way to keep your failure rate up with the national average. If testers feel they are passing too many cars and don’t want to come under suspicion, lights are an easy 'RAT' item (rectified at test) that will show up as a failure in their figures. You are allowed to carry out minor repairs after you have completed the test (but not during) but you must issue a failure certificate at the same time as a pass. I was a lot more creative. ;):LOL:

Sponsored Links
I have never had any of my own cars fail on a lamp out, but a few years ago I took my company car in for it's MOT with a brake light out and asked them to fix it before the MOT. They failed to fix it, passed it with the lamp out and I assuming it had been fixed, I drove off. It was the following day, before I noticed - I check the reflections of my lights regularly, in following vehicles - Halfords!

brake discs ruined after only 40k miles?
My daughters discs were shot at just over 20K after 4 years, she had the car from new and is probably the most careful driver I know, but it only did short journeys and was often parked up for days on end so had plenty of time to rust in between, whereas my Mondeo which did 30K a year was ragged and abused everywhere would last a couple of pad changes over 80K before I changed the discs as no rust ever had a chance to form, just as well as the rust onto the hubs and had to be cut off with the angle grinder. I've also just had to change the year old discs on my mates Yaris, it tends to sit for weeks at a time.

I have never had to yet change disks on any car I have ever owned. I park up in my garage, so my disks quickly dry out from the residual heat - hence no rust. I also need to make very little use of my brakes when driving, as a result of good observation.

Sponsored Links
My daughters discs were shot at just over 20K after 4 years, she had the car from new and is probably the most careful driver I know, but it only did short journeys and was often parked up for days on end so had plenty of time to rust in between, whereas my Mondeo which did 30K a year was ragged and abused everywhere would last a couple of pad changes over 80K before I changed the discs as no rust ever had a chance to form, just as well as the rust onto the hubs and had to be cut off with the angle grinder. I've also just had to change the year old discs on my mates Yaris, it tends to sit for weeks at a time.
Same here. The A3 we have just bought has 34k on the clock. Rear pads are probably 80% worn and the discs are dark in colour although to be fair, it’s not had much use in the last year due to lockdown. I also hear a faint scraping from the rear when braking for the first couple of miles so they'll all be changed soon. I washed it the other day and by the time I had leathered it off, all the discs were heavily rusted!

I have never had to yet change disks on any car I have ever owned. I park up in my garage, so my disks quickly dry out from the residual heat - hence no rust. I also need to make very little use of my brakes when driving, as a result of good observation.
I've changed loads, but all my everyday eurobox boring cars are left outside, garages are for rebuilding interesting cars, motor bikes and scooters, I also only buy cars for less than £300 so high mileages of over 200,000 is not that unusual to me.

Back