1997 new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking at a bungalow built in 1997, south of England. Has solid, concrete floors and I would appreciate any information as to the flooring insulation regulations back then, if any!
I'm wondering if this type of floor, back then, had to be insulated as a requirement of being a new build.

Thanks for any info

Pete

Sponsored Links
That is a good question. Racking my brains and poor addled memory I'm going to say floor insulation became mandatory in 1995. I seem to recall 50 - 75mm of Jablite Insulation was fairly standard back then. I might be wrong though.

Your not alone, that's why I asked on here, so thanks Wessex .
We will replace the old floor covering, mostly it has carpet. Can I also ask for recommendations for underlay for say engineered oak flooring to help the insulation of the floors.
Thanks,
Pete

My dad had his kitchen floor dug out and redone in 1990, and that had insulation (white jablite type) under it. Not sure if that was mandatory but guess it was common even back then.

Sponsored Links
Your not alone, that's why I asked on here, so thanks Wessex .
We will replace the old floor covering, mostly it has carpet. Can I also ask for recommendations for underlay for say engineered oak flooring to help the insulation of the floors.
Thanks,
Pete

I'm not sure the underlay will make any meaningful difference to the insulation. You would probably just be better off wearing thicker socks.

My house was built in 1997 and has 25mm thick Jablite type insulation under the ground floor concrete slab. Together with an external wall construction max ' U ' Value of 0.6, double glazing and 200mm fibreglass quilt loft insulation, that was enough to meet Part L with a reasonably good Sap rating and comply with bldg. regs at that time . Housebuilders usually build to the minimum required to comply with bldg. regs so I would expect your bungalow floor would have 25mm insulation or maybe a bit more but unlikely to be more than 50mm. 75mm thick floor insulation came later with 100mm in recent years.

Thank you Leofric, much appreciated..At lest it should have some and that's got to be good.

I bet nobody has taken up floors in houses that age and come across Jablite any thicker than 50mm !

75pete, good evening.

OK properties vary dependent on who specified the build?

Suggest you have a look @https://fet.uwe.ac.uk/conweb/house_ages/elements/print.htm

Especially !

Ground bearing concrete floors - 1960s to 1990s in the above?

Ken

Suggest you have a look @https://fet.uwe.ac.uk/conweb/house_ages/elements/print.htm

Ken

I’ve come across that site before, found it fascinating and spent hours reading it. I’m obviously a building geek.

Had a look at that Ken but I thought we had already established that ground floor insulation was required in 1997. I was also trying to give 75pete an idea of what the thickness might be on the bungalow floor and said it could be 25mm minimum , could be more but unlikely to be more than 50mm thick.
Regards

Leofric, agree.

As I recall 25,mm tended to be pulverised by foot traffic, so everyone went to something near 50.mm, this thickness was more robust and withstood the foot traffic of Plumbers, Sparks and the concrete squad marching all over it?

25. mm was used when there was a concrete slab plus timber bearers then the floor on top, even there the thin insulation was badly damaged during construction.

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back