1997 building standards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone give me a idea of the building regs in my 1997 built house. Just wondering what the standards if insulation, sound proofing and energy efficencey sould be like??? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Just interested really. And thinking could i improve anything easily.

Sponsored Links
You could full fill the cavities if a contractor assessed that they were suitable (although opinion is divided on the Forum as to whether its a good idea or not). Loft insulation is very easy/cheap to add. Floor insulation is possible if you have timber joist floors and don't mind ripping up the boards. Sound insulation, well that's a whole other subject, new partitions can be added with an air gap between them and the existing party walls, upgrading party floors can be more troublesome. There are loads of threads on soundproofing in the Building section. The value/cost of additional sound insulating methods is highly variable as sound reduction is such a personal thing to assess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back