Building regs1996 re garage division

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would anyone know if I needed building control in 1997 to sub divide part of adjoining garage into utility area please. We have built a stud wall plasterboarded on both sides with a door which leads to the main part of the garage. There is a door from the house into this utility area. It's really only built to house the washer and dryer and central heating boiler so when washing etc its a bit warmer than the rest of the garage. There is no heating in this area.
The walls and ceiling are exactly as the rest of the garage structure and have not been plastered. There is no sink or taps. Was it considered a garage conversion, as the garage is essentially still a garage. Neither do we "live " in it. Thank you if you can advise.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. Is there anywhere i could read the regs for that time so as to see if what I have done would have complied with the regs? I am wondering what I will let myself in for if I ask for retrospective compliance.
I believe that the regs at the time of building would apply.
Thank you

You selling?

From 1997? Why bother? If it were an extension or loft conversion I can see a buyer being cautious but a utility in a garage?

Sponsored Links
Hope to soon, yes. I thought it would be ok as it's not for any habitable use. It's not even got insulation on the original garage walls. I was hoping earlier building regs may not have applied to an area basically housing the washer and dryer and boiler. It's like a glorified cupboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back