Partition wall in garage for utility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to divide my long garage to make use of the space as a utility room. I already have a washing machine and taps plumbed in.

The door from the house into the garage seems to be an old external door (house built 1937), with a step down into the garage. Basically I want to partition the garage (still large enough for a car even though it never goes in) have a door from the 'utility' to the car part of the garage, and use the space as a warmer laundry/storage space and possibly naughty dog home.

What type of partition wall can I use, I guess I'll have to insulate if its a stud wall I choose, and what sort of door is required? The door from the garage to the back garden was installed in 2002 being external uPVC type and double glazed (as is the window next to it).

Also do I need any sort of building control/regs to apply for?

Many thanks in advance guys.

Sponsored Links
My guesses are that you'll need to:
1. build partition, ceiling and new door for 30 minute fire resistance
2. insulate new partition and ceiling to modern regs
3. put a fire ceiling over the garage

Have a chat with your local authority building control. They should be pleased that you'll be updating fire protection and might be flexible about insulation if you don't put in a new floor.

If you keep an existing doorway from the house (even if changed for a new door), then partition the garage to create a "store", and in this store room you put your w/m , freezer etc, then you would not be creating a utility room and so would not need b/regs approval.

You may technically need b/regs approval for significant drainage alterations, but not for a new waste pipes into existing drains

For the partition, either 4x2 or 3x2 with full-fill quilt and 1/2" plasterboard and skim will do. Celotex/kingspan insulation may be more efficient but will cost more.

If you apply for building regs, then you will have to insulate all walls and floor and ceiling etc as per a normal garage conversion

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the input, really appreciated. I will be keeping the original door and positioning for washer etc (hence no drainage change). It will literally be as it is now, with tge addition of a partition and door. Longer term I may have a side extension to the kitchen, which would mean relocating the door into the garage, but that would be done professionally.

Just didn't want to put up a partition which didn't comply in terms of insulation/fire protection.

If I were to raise the floor, is there limits (concrete based at present) and the same insulation requirement as Walls?

Thanks again guys, all advice welcome!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back