Integral garage part conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house has an integral garage which has been partitioned off previously but i would like to do a proper job on it so need some advice.

Originally the garage was accessed only by the up & over door but a few years ago a door was knocked through from the living room. This door has since been boarded over inside the house and an external pvc door fitted to access from the outside. A raised floor was laid with timbers and a stud wall was installed to partition off the up and over garage area from the new room.

The room is only access by external door now.

I would like to submit plans to the council to carry out the works to complete this room and currently have the floor up to install insulation between the joists.

The partition wall is currently just one layer of 9.5 plasterboard.

What regs would i need to comply with? Would the partition wall need to be fireproof?

Anything else i need to consider?

Sponsored Links
Building Regulations.

The wall needs to be fire resistant and external grade in terms of insulation.

Thanks

Three walls are original brick with exception of the old boarded over door from living room. Should i fire board that too?

What’s external grade insulation?

Fire resistance between garage and room only. This wall needs to perform as an external wall, so you need to insulate it to the relevant insulation type and thickness - which depends on how you plan to construct it - masonry, timber, Rockwool, Celotex etc.

Sponsored Links
Fire resistance between garage and room only. This wall needs to perform as an external wall, so you need to insulate it to the relevant insulation type and thickness - which depends on how you plan to construct it - masonry, timber, Rockwool, Celotex etc.

Thanks

i can access the back of it from inside the garage. I was planning to use thick rockwool to insulate if thats acceptable.

Be weary of any potential Planning applications, in particular PD and Article 4 directions. I dealt with one a while ago where the previous owners had carried out a part garage conversion. I had been instructed to submit a LDC application for a rear extension for Planning to mention the existing conversion required formal approval as there was an Article 4 direction in place. They advised to put the garage back to how it was or submit a formal application for it. You may well be ok and no need to worry about Planning at all, but no harm in checking.

Be weary of any potential Planning applications, in particular PD and Article 4 directions. I dealt with one a while ago where the previous owners had carried out a part garage conversion. I had been instructed to submit a LDC application for a rear extension for Planning to mention the existing conversion required formal approval as there was an Article 4 direction in place. They advised to put the garage back to how it was or submit a formal application for it. You may well be ok and no need to worry about Planning at all, but no harm in checking.

Thanks for the info.

I dont know much about planning and applying so want to get it right

Your Local Planning Authority may be able to provide you with some advice. Some have Duty Planners but the advice offered is limited and some offer Permitted Development enquires, which is what this would be. The majority may ask for you to submit a Lawful Development Certificate application but this can take a bit more time and money.

Your Local Planning Authority may be able to provide you with some advice. Some have Duty Planners but the advice offered is limited and some offer Permitted Development enquires, which is what this would be. The majority may ask for you to submit a Lawful Development Certificate application but this can take a bit more time and money.

Would it best for me to call them and ask what i need to do?

Yes. Firstly, call the Planning department and ask if you need Planning approval for a garage conversion. The type of advice you receive will depend on the particular Council.

Yes. Firstly, call the Planning department and ask if you need Planning approval for a garage conversion. The type of advice you receive will depend on the particular Council.

Thanks.

Hopefully its straight forward. If planning approval isnt required, what would i need to do?

Then you could choose to submit a LDC application for that to be formally confirmed by them or bypass that and proceed straight to Building Regulations, which would comprise an application, drawings/specifications and fee.

Then you could choose to submit a LDC application for that to be formally confirmed by them or bypass that and proceed straight to Building Regulations, which would comprise an application, drawings/specifications and fee.

Ok

Any idea what the costs are or is it different for each council?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back