Converting part of a garage to a utility - does it need to conform to building regs?

what do you want to use it for? What's going in there? Just the washing machine ? If that's the case and nobody's going to be going in and out a lot to check clothes in a dryer or use the loo, then is it worth the expense of connecting it to the house?
We've just got rid of the garage door at my elderly parents and replaced it with a door and 2 windows and partitioned off the front of the garage where the door into the kitchen is. We stuck a bit of insulation in the new stud partition and under the OSB we've put down on the floor, but there's no heating in there and no hot water or sink , so it really is just a room for the washer and dryer and a bit of storage .The sun shines in there all day now ( if it's out) so it's much warmer than when it was the garage and better for my mum/ carers/ us.
Good point - but we are renovating our entire house under a big 9 month project so it's not too much of an effort to do this as such as we already will have builders doing material works, but it's more a question for us whether we have to pay for all things needed to make it conform to the full suite of building regs for what will just be a room with some countertop units, a sink and a washing machine and dryer. Found our building control contact via the LABC website but they also just sent us a generic and not very helpful response
Sponsored Links
It's a garage conversion so is notifiable works, it makes no difference whether it's a full garage conversion or part, you can argue all you like how much you may disagree with the system, if you don't want to do it then don't.
I am not sure anyone is arguing? I was asking the question if anyone on here knew because I had reviewed the building regulations and could not interpret the guidance and I reached out to my local building control and they emailed me a generic response with a link to pay to apply for notice, rather than answering my specific question.

Sponsored Links
I could be wrong but I'd thought you'd contacted planning, which is usually a different department with a different perspective
I had done so initially, but once it was kindly pointed out on this forum I realised and went on the LABC website and found the correct contact details there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local