Change of use for detached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’d like to add a small office within my double garage, which is detached (few metres away) from my house.

I’ve read conflicting guidance around planning permission and building regulations.

Does anyone have a similar scenario? Would I need to get planning permission or just get it built within the usual building regs:

Insulation
Electrical safety cert
Escape route
Fire rates door
Damp proofing

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Just adding that the garage is right next to my house and not in a separate block somewhere else

Electrical work would need to be to regs, otherwise just do it. What is an office? why is it any different to a hobby room? or workshop? art studio? If you were restoring old furniture, and had a computer in the workshop to assist would it be an office? A garage is an outbuilding ancillary to the house and people use the space for all sorts of things. You don't need building regs or planning (unless of course it would be a business with visitors). As to fire escapes and damp proofing - do what you think is sensible. The easiest way to build an office in a detached garage is basically to build an insulated wooden box (stud, insulation, membrane, plasterboard) that stands within it (what I did in the last house). Sorts out dampproofing, insulation etc, and should you ever sell up, you could take it out to revert to a garage.

Personally, depending on use and design, I would (and did) have an escape window if the office was positioned so you have to go through the rest of the garage to get out.

Thanks mrrusty.

It’s just an office for me to work in - never anyone visiting. My only worry is nosey neighbours complaining to the council!

No changes are being made to the outside of the garage. Fortunately there’s already a window that’s at an escape proof height.

Sponsored Links
more tax 20 years ago (so check current rules)
my mate and I converted his double garage to a recording studio.
No water, no sewer connection. just a "hobby room"

Before this, he checked with the council and no issues were raised.
I extended the existing mains etc, possibly illegally then, almost certainly now, but you could easily get a sparky to visit and check.
The only professional that we used was a plasterer, as due to the sound requirements, we needed a very good result

My only worry is nosey neighbours complaining to the council!

Let them, nothing Council can do and they won't be interested. It's converting integral garages into habitable rooms where the regs kick in.

So just adding a small office isn’t habitable in the council’s eyes?

If the garage is detached and under 30m2 floor area, it won't need building regulation approval.

The electrics will need to be self certified by some competent person, or will need an application unless you are just extending existing circuits.

You'll need to check whether there is a planning condition requiring the garage to be kept as a garage, or even a covenant on the house deeds.

Measured and it’s 28m2 just under.

Really appreciate all of the help folks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back