Building a conserventory between house and garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am thinking about building a conservatory on the back of my house. The size and position of the conservatory itself will fall within the permitted development requirements and thus not need planning permission. Also as the conservatory is under 30m2 and mostly glass, it should be exempt from building regs.
However a complication occurs because I want the new conservatory to touch the currently detached and planning permission exempt garage, and where they touch I want to break though a doorway allowing direct access to the garage from the house via the conservatory. As the garage is no longer an detached outbuilding, would I have to apply for planning permission for the existing garage or the conservatory? And would there be any building regs issues with such an arrangement?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have discussed exactly this issue with my own LA to which their written response was:

'After having a look at the drawings and aerial photograph I would suggest that this proposal would be permitted development. However, I must stress that this is informal advice and is by no means a definitive answer.'

So not very helpful really! :confused: My client went ahead without further permissions.

I would contact your own Local Authority and seek clarification, they may be more committal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back