1998 Peugeot 406 1.8 16v ignition coil pack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had this car for 3 1/2 years and done nearly 40k in it with nothing major. Drove it to cardiff on thursday which is about 95 miles from my house and got to 11 miles left on the tomtom and when driving in a 50mph limit, I realised that i'd lost alot of power. It was misfiring and wouldn't pick up. Did this for about 2 or 3 minutes and then picked up again as returned to normal. I drove it later on that evening and then drove it back on saturday night with no problems.
It did something similar before when i cleaned it out under the bonnet with gunk and the hose and it wouldn't run properly until it dried out :p. The only thing is it has been totally dry and still is so having read up online it seems the ignition coil pack may need replacing. It also said that if the coil pack went faulty it could fry the ECU which I do not want to happen!

Is it worth replacing the coil pack? Everything else on the car is good

Sponsored Links
its possible but usually coil packs will fail totally and miss all the time. Id pull the plugs out and have a look/change them first

Hmm.. yeah i could give that a go, I replaced the plugs at just under 100k and it's nearly on 120k now so maybe?

If its the coil pack or one of the fuel injectors I'd expect the engine management light to be on.....any sign?
John :)

Sponsored Links
No the engine management light has not been on at any time (it does work as it lights up when the ignition is turned on with the other indicator and warning lamps on the dash), could it be a bad connection somewhere? It is french after all!

I can't comment on a 1998 vehicle, as all the ones I've had experience with have been year 2000 or newer - and coil pack failure is definitely common!
For what its worth though, I find that coil packs either work well or they don't - and nothing in between. Thats just me though!
If you are friendly with your local motor factor, ask them if they'll take the part back if its not faulty.....happens all the time.
John :)

Back