1st floor lighting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need some help please

My nephew called me over to his house earlier today (victorian 3 bed terrace with TNS supply)
The lights on the ground floor work fine including the 1st floor landing light, but the remaining lights on the 1st floor do not work.

I checked the lamps which were fine, his consumer unit is of the BS3036 rewireable variety the board including the breakers seem to be in good order with no signs of damage.

voltage is present at the ceiling roses as well as the switches, the reading I am getting at the celing rose nearest the functioning light on the 1st floor with my fluke tester is 242volts between L - E but only 90v - 110v between L - N any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
yeah, ask him what he's changed in the past day or so..
it's obvious that he's been messing and there is a broken / pinched neutral somewhere..

Hi ColJack thanks for the quick reply, I failed to mention that he had a new kitchen installed recently, this could be a possible link to the problems

Hi ColJack thanks for the quick reply, I failed to mention that he had a new kitchen installed recently, this could be a possible link to the problems

So any new wiring should be protected by RCD(s). How have they been connected to a rewireable board?

Sponsored Links
The wiring was kept as is, the only things replaced was the new twin socket outlets, the lighting circuit was apparently not touched.

The cooker hood was changed for a like for like basis, which is why I don't understand the lighting fault (will need to look in to ColJacks suggestion)

Sorry BAS I should have wrote BS3036 rewireable fuses.
I have suggested a PIR to be carried out as it would indicate, the condition of the entire installation but for now he wants his lights back on

What was the N>E voltage? As suggested it sounds like a neutral has become disconnected/damaged somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back