2.0 HDI wont start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had an intermittent problem on a Peugeot 306 2.0 Hdi 1999 in that every now and then it wont start. Last time it went to garage for full diagnostics and when they come to work on it after the weekend it started fine? They found low battery warnings on ECU logs but nothing else (probably down to me trying repeatedly to start the bugger in the first place). They also mentioned something about central locking and how it could have sent a message to the immoboliser if the battery gets too low?

Anyway, they cleared the logs and all was fine.. for a while! It's happened again, but this time I'm loathe to put it in the garage and get a whopping bill for them doing very little.

So here finally is the point, can anybody give me any advice on the above tale and or is it possible to clear any fault logs without having to plug the car into a computer?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I had the same problem those cars are rubbish i got a new one

Westside7

Next time it will not start test for volts on fuel solenoid, and if present, for continuity ( or spark on dissing its lead when powered) .

But dont blame me if you mess up the ECU although I dont see why you should.

Tony

Thanks for the reply's guys. Decided to get it in to the dealer in the end for diagnostics. They've since come back saying they're unable to connect to the ECU and are assuming it is 'locked out'. Gonna cost a small fortune to replace and repair, and then they can't be sure that there isn't another problem somewher else even after they've fixed the ECU, not until they check the logs?

The long and the short of it is I'm considering writing it off.

So now it would be really useful to me if anybody could give me advice on the following.

The Car other then the ECU has some good bits on it, does anybody know of a company in the Dorset/Hampshire area that would buy it off me for breaking? Does anybody do this sort of thing?

Any other advice on my predicament gratefully received?

Sponsored Links
Before you scrap it look here and have a word with them.

www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk

The ECU Doctor

Hemerdon Lodge

Boringdon Road

Plympton

Plymouth

PL7 4EA

Phone/Fax 01752 346437

Mobile 07956 542162

That is an interesting option johnnyfishing, but how easy is it to get the old ECU out? It would appear you send it off to them for repair.

Also what if I get it back after repair and still nothing, I don't have the knowhow or hardware to check the repaired ECU.

Can anybody advise on this option, what are the potential pitfalls?

That really is a nice little car and it would be a pity to write it off on account of such a minor problem.

As its a diesel then I would wonder just how involved the ECU is in the operation of the engine once its started?

Does anyone know if it would be possible to disconnect the ECU from the engine and make it function as a stand alone engine?

Or does it actively modify the engine operation dynamically.

I dont know if its relevant to the 306 ECU but "Neo" replied to a query about a peugeot 106:-

"""You can buy a cheap fault code reader from ebay or halfords for under £20 which will probably help point you in the right direction.
Could be alot of things, but with the overheating and coolant loss i'd be looking at possibly the headgasket gone."""

Tony

I think you should ring up the E.C.U doctor and explain what the garage said and see what they say before you start spending.If they can "unlock it and read the codes your half way there,it is also possible that it's the E.C.U. that has been giving you all the problems.It's not difficult to take out the E.C.U. The haynes will explain how.There are no pitfalls if they can't repair it there is no charge if they can they will give you a quote and your unit will come back in good working order.The phone call is your cheapest and best option.

;)

Just as an update, in case anybody has the same problem further down the line, I have got the car back from the dealers and have removed the ECU. Will post it to ECU Doctor today and will let you know what happens.

Thanks again for everybodys input.

Agile said:
As its a diesel then I would wonder just how involved the ECU is in the operation of the engine once its started?

Does anyone know if it would be possible to disconnect the ECU from the engine and make it function as a stand alone engine?
Tony

With the car being a HDI the ECU means everything to the engine running! Its as much in control of the diesel injection as a modern petrol injection ECU is, there is no way the engine will run without the ECU.

Keep us posted as to what ECU doctor has to say :)

As a final update as promised, got the ECU back from the Docs yesterday, plugged it in, charged the battery and turned her over.

She started first time! Hooray....

After speaking to the ECU doc he suggested immoboliser fault, replaced a board and with labour charged me £165. Bit better then the main dealers quote of nearer £1000 I think you'll agree.

Thanks again to johnnyfishing for suggesting it and to everybody who expressed an interest.

Thanx for the link, guys.........1960`s- cars as rot as a pear after 8 years 2000`s- "brains" dead after 8 years.......bloody conspiracy :evil:

I've had an intermittent problem on a Peugeot 306 2.0 Hdi 1999 in that every now and then it wont start. Last time it went to garage for full diagnostics and when they come to work on it after the weekend it started fine? They found low battery warnings on ECU logs but nothing else (probably down to me trying repeatedly to start the b*****r in the first place). They also mentioned something about central locking and how it could have sent a message to the immoboliser if the battery gets too low?

Anyway, they cleared the logs and all was fine.. for a while! It's happened again, but this time I'm loathe to put it in the garage and get a whopping bill for them doing very little.

So here finally is the point, can anybody give me any advice on the above tale and or is it possible to clear any fault logs without having to plug the car into a computer?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Back