2 ceiling lights on a single switch. HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am having trouble replacing the ceiling lights after someone else disconnected all the wires from the ceiling and possibly altered the switch. I have bought a multimeter to try and trace the switched live ( i believe it is coming from the switch). Any help would be really appreciated as I am not 100% sure where they all were when it was working.

The single gang switch (2 way type) used to be a double gang but currently has 1 red com & a yellow and blue from L2, L1 is blank.

Next in chain is Light 1 with 3 sets of wires, 1st set is 2 core (black, red) and (i believe) is for light 2, 2nd set is (i beleive from supply) same type of wire (2 core (black, red) and I have attached a light to it and works but always on hence i reckon is supply. 3rd set confuses me as it is 3 core(i believe from switch) and has (despite some disclourment) red, yellow, blue.

Trouble is there are no markings to tell me which was the switched live and I cannot seem to "trace" them back together so they go back together as they were when working. Plus I am unsure as to the yellow and blue from the switch

If someone could give me some help, I would really appreciate it as so far this is the 2nd day with the ceiling bare!

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I gathered they were switch lines 1 for each light , however i am stuck as to what they should be attached to on the supply's 2 core (black red) and also the 2nd lights 2 core
Sorry but am unsure as it wasn't me who touched them and no red sleeve for common live.

Thanks soo much for your help!

Sponsored Links
i had connected the reds together (from switch & supply) no probs, I then connected the blacks from supply & 2nd light but tripped circut (with switch on and off) the only wire connected from 2nd light is black (apart from all earths are together)
i am bewildered right now and really appreciate your help!

thanks, but the only black i have attached to supply black is one for 2nd light.

ok, before i do though, i connected the supply black to the 2nd light red and no trip. or shall i start again?

2 blacks i have are from supply & 2nd light. shall i connect them togerther now? i have connected all earths togerther already.

hmm that will be a no. ok. how do i go about tracing them correctly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back