2 channel /single channel hive common

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted this in electrics UK and thought, that should have been in home automation (Where most of the hive discussion is) so forgive me for repost.

I've bought a single channel and a dual channel hive (hot water plus two heating zones).

I understand that the single channel has a common terminal and that is linked to perm live to connect to the NO NC terminals. The dual channel has live + neutral plus 2 NOs and 2 NCs and the common connection is made internally.

My question is can anyone explain why Hive had an explicit common on the single channel and not on the dual channel? Is there some cost saving or something. Seems weird to make the connection internally on one and explicitly on the other. Like choose one setup guys!

Thanks for any thoughts.

R.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/2-way-3-way-hive.562971/#ixzz6kygq7dSN

Sponsored Links
Single channel has voltage free option, 2 channel is 240 v switch as it’s normally powering zone valves etc

The back plate is used for existing programmers and thermostats, the duel channel uses the standard wiring diagram for a programmer, and the single channel uses standard wiring diagram for a thermostat.

I personally think it is daft, as too easy for wrong version to be fitted, but if you try fitting Nest that is not very good either, there is only really enough room for one wire per terminal so it can't replace the wiring centre. Mine is just above a wiring centre but in the flat kitchen looking good not so important.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back