2 coloured needles on pressure gauge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i removed a radiator to decorate behind it and i read somewhere on here that you need to repressurise/refill the system after doing so. pressure should be 1 bar apparently?

problem is, the pressure gauge on my boiler (worcester bosch highflow 400) has two needles - one red, one black.

what is each needle for? and what pressure should they be showing?

the black one is currently on a quarter, the red one on one and an half

many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The red one is a pointer, to show where the black one should be.

ok, refilled the system at the filling loop

black and red needles both on 1 and a half

thanks very much for your help :)

Sponsored Links
does the red pointer not move on its own then? just noticed there is a screwdriver slot in it

being a bit thick here, sorry

mattyccfc said:
does the red pointer not move on its own then? just noticed there is a screwdriver slot in it

being a bit thick here, sorry

No it should have been set by the installer.

In answer to our question and please ignore other comments the norm is when your system is cold presuming you live in a one story house is 1 bar cold 1.5 bar hot when you fill,the red needle should be manually set to 1.5 bar(max pressure)therefor when your system is cold it reads 1 bar, when hot depending on size of you system it reads approx 1.5 bar

In answer to our question and please ignore other comments the norm is when your system is cold presuming you live in a one story house is 1 bar cold 1.5 bar hot when you fill,the red needle should be manually set to 1.5 bar(max pressure)therefor when your system is cold it reads 1 bar, when hot depending on size of you system it reads approx 1.5 bar

Where on earth did you learn that load of cobblers?
At least finish the course before giving out advice!

Where on earth did you learn that load of cobblers?
At least finish the course before giving out advice!
I think you need to get your facts right or dont comment you are obviously a trainee or a dinosauaur i suggest you look in your plumbing and heating guide I have 32 years what have you ???????????

I've 43 years and I've always been told 1.5bar when cold, but thats just a difference of opinion, nothing to worry about :LOL:

Anything over 0.5 bar when cold is fine for virtually all boilers.
Anything up to 2.5 when hot is fine for virtually all boilers.
It makes absolutely no difference whether the pressure is 1.1. or 1.9 bar as long as the boiler works.

when you fill,the red needle should be manually set to 1.5 bar(max pressure)therefor when your system is cold it reads 1 bar, when hot depending on size of you system it reads approx 1.5 bar

It has taken you 32years to come up with that load of rubbish?
The job of the red pointer when fitted is to point to the pressure
to be set when the system is cold. Nothing to do with putting it at one
and a half bar and then the thing moves around on its own!

You must learn to read the books properly. Perhaps an extension to the
course would be worthwhile if you wish to progress in plumbing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back