2 dimmer switch help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have just brought a 2 way dimmer switch, i need some help wiring it,

I have two sets of ceiling lights, i have two sets of cable comming from the socket
cable 1, has one red wire and earth wire
cable 2, has one red wire, one black wire and one earth wire

On the back of the new dimmer unit there are two connectors each has..
LIVE
S
AND AN ARROW (LOAD)

can some one help me

Sponsored Links
I guess this is a dimmer to replace an existing switch? What wires go to which terminals on the old switch?

You must make a note of what goes where before disconnecting them!

I guess this is a dimmer to replace an existing switch? yes

What wires go to which terminals on the old switch? sorry i didnt make a note of this

Sponsored Links
I think we need a bit more information. I'm trying to make sense of this:

On the back of the new dimmer unit there are two connectors each has..
LIVE
S
AND AN ARROW (LOAD)

Is this a double dimmer with two dimming controls, one for each set of lights? Or is it a single dimmer combined with a two-way switch, used to control a single set of lights but in conjunction with another switch somewhere else?

If - AND ONLY IF - my first guess is correct then, given that there are only three 'working' wires, you must have a common live feed in and two switched lives out - unless some idiot put the old dimmer in the neutral side. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's a pretty good bet that live feed is red. To find out which wire is which, put both reds together into choc block, isolate black in another piece of choc block and put the power on. Does one set of lights come on? If it does then you'll know that black is switched live to the other lights. If it doesn't then live feed is black. :eek: :eek: :eek: Stranger things have happened.

Now remove one red from its choc block (power off of course), put it in with black and switch on again. If the other set of lights comes on, you have just moved the live feed across to black. If neither works, live feed is the one you left behind.

Now for the dimmers. Live feed must go to BOTH the terminals marked LIVE so you'll need a link wire. The remaining two wires go, one each, to the LOAD terminals. The earths go into whatever earth terminal you have in there. It's often in the back of the box. :) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back