2 extra phone sockets for Computer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to install two extra phone sockets upstairs, one in each bedroom, so that the computer router can be used from either socket since it is often used in the two different rooms frequently. I know that socket kits are available or I will need to get them, cable etc seperately. However looking in my various diy books explaining how to do this, it goes on about wires coloured orange with white rings etc but the loose extension leads I have been using just had four wires coloured blue, gren, red and white.

Secondly, the BT master socket installed in 1997 looks like it has the bottom half of the cover removable by screws. Some websites/books have said that this can be used for running your own extensions from without disturbing the company's wiring whilst some are saying not to remove any cover full stop.

I will follow all instructions but would like it if somebody could possibly explain more about the above two items concerned above?

Many thanks in advance and belated happy new year to everybody.

Sponsored Links
The lower front cover of the NTE5 master socket is designed be removed for you to add your extension wiring, which attaches to the insulation displacenment connections on the back.

The back section of the socket houses the network suppliers wiring and should not be distubed.

Modern telephony cables are usually made up of twisted pairs, with BLUE/white and WHITE/blue making one pair. (WIRE COLOUR/stripe colour). This cable construction reduces interference between pairs of conductors when there are multiple telephone lines. Other cable constructions may be used successfully for a single telephone line.

Stranded conductors cannot be connected reliably in the IDC connectors, so solid conductors are the norm.

The pairs of terminals on the sockets corresponding to the wire colours are 2 & 5 (blue pair) and 3 & 4 (orange pair).

For telephone extension sockets with DSL filters at each socket, only two wires connected to terminals 2 & 5 are needed.

Instead of running a telephone socket, you could consider running cat5 cabling from your router to each point where you may need a PC, so there's no need to move the router.

First of all the wiring you are referring to blue/red is possibly alarm cable of cheap phone cable,bin this as it will give you plenty of trouble with the dsl signal,buy some good wiring that is twisted into pairs( cat5 is ideal) and two slaves then run the cable to the first point then from there to the second point....buy a krone tool off ebay about £5 and if this is for pc use only ,punch home connections 5 and 2 using the white with blue hoops and the blue with white hoops on first and second extension then on the master socket unscrew the bottom half and punch home the same colours on 5 and 2 .........if you need any more help post back

HI again

I have thought of different ideas, but as I don't own the router (my younger sister does) I would not like to interfere with it in any way or complicate things for myself. My idea is to have a phone socket in each room and buy a router in the near future for my own computer so we won't have to share it (moving it from room to room). Also she is not home half of the time and has also been known to take the router with her elsewhere, plus she might move out in the near/far future so I would like to be able to use the socket(s) for telephone use if ever I wanted to.

So if as you say I get some good quality phone cable and follow the instructions etc will this be just as satisfactory?

Many Thanks again

Sorry is cat5 cable specifically for pc use or is it a kind of telephone cable?

Sponsored Links
You dont have to use cat5 ,just ordinary phone cable will suffice as long as its in twisted pairs and if you want this now just for speech when you connect the wires also use terminal3 and this is your bell wire but can interfere with your dsl signal.............see www.adslnation.com
its full of useful info

If your going to spend the time and effort to install 2 additional phone sockets - Why not just run 2x Cat 5e cables from the router to the 2x locations. You might run into problems having lots of extentions running from the main master DSl socket.

My idea is to have a phone socket in each room and buy a router in the near future for my own computer so we won't have to share it (moving it from room to room). Also she is not home half of the time and has also been known to take the router with her elsewhere.

This reads as if you intend running two broadband routers from a single line. No can do.

My idea is to have a phone socket in each room and buy a router in the near future for my own computer so we won't have to share it (moving it from room to room). Also she is not home half of the time and has also been known to take the router with her elsewhere.

This reads as if you intend running two broadband routers from a single line. No can do.

Everybody's advice much appresiated, but I would like to clarify a few things:

1) I just want to have proper phone sockets instead of the clumsby cheap telephone extension lead run all over the place.

2) I still think it will be handy to have telephone sockets so I can use them for an ordinary phone in the future.

3) If/when I get another router for my computer I will know not to use them the same time ever-like I said my sister takes it away with her sometimes and it is hers so I am not prepared to mess about with it in any way plus I've noticed cat5 cable is rather expensive (it is not me who is paying for it)

Also what is '2 Pair' phone cable?

Many Thanks

Also what is '2 Pair' phone cable?
A pair consists of two cores twisted together so one pair is two core, '2 pair' is 4 core and 3 pair 6 core etc.

The plugin extension cables are useless with broadband since the cores are flat parallel together not twisted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back