2 gang 1 way dimmer switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok guys, got a real problem here and really need your help (please!). I have searched through the forum, and checked the diagrams – nothing seems to apply.

So, here is my problem. Trying to replace my Mum’s dimmer switch with a new one, and found myself in difficulty - information as follows:

Existing dimmer switch is 30 years old – 2 gang one way (two dimmers independently controlling a set of lights each).

I took the back off and found 2 cables coming into the junction box. Cable one Red (only); Cable 2 Red, Black and Earth. Bought a new dimmer switch and noticed that new terminology is used L1, L2, and ~ for each gang. This certainly does not correspond to what Mum has. I am now confused :confused:

Can anybody offer some suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
jack4346 said:
I have searched through the forum, and checked the diagrams – nothing seems to apply.

Teachers comment

must try harder.

look in the for refence (faq) section it is there (i put it there years ago)
and note my signature

The single red goes to one L1

The other red goes to BOTH ~ terminals.

The black goes to the other L1 terminal

Is it metal? If so, you must connect the earth to the faceplate.

breezer said:
jack4346 said:
I have searched through the forum, and checked the diagrams – nothing seems to apply.

Teachers comment

must try harder.

look in the for refence (faq) section it is there (i put it there years ago)
and note my signature

Admonishment accepted :oops:

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
The single red goes to one L1

The other red goes to BOTH ~ terminals.

The black goes to the other L1 terminal

Is it metal? If so, you must connect the earth to the faceplate.

Thank you crafty1289 you have been exceptionally helpful – I am indebted to you. Incidentally, the faceplate is metal, and I will earth accordingly. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back