2 gang 2 way light switch adding extra switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
7DD0957D-A872-4808-9A11-3CFD39384653.jpeg
FF003F84-BE32-4C13-91ED-B251D01D024F.jpeg
7DD0957D-A872-4808-9A11-3CFD39384653.jpeg
Hi there,
I’ve just moved into my first Home and I’m not bad at diy but electrics isn’t my strong point.
In my garage I’ve got a two way two gang switch, one switch controls outside light and the other controls the interior garage lights. I want to put another switch at the other end of the garage for the interior garage lights only but when I took the switch apart the wiring was not what I expected.
The existing double switch has only 3 wires going to it;
Black wire to L2
Yellow wire to other L2
Red wire to Common
And a red link wire between two commons.

Both L1 terminals are empty.
To wire in another switch where would I need to put the new cable, I’m assuming one in L1, one in L2 and One in the common of the switch I want and then of course the earth but I just wanted to make sure before I do this?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Do you realise the two switches are two triangles, one inverted, NOT the three terminals at either end?

Is the answer still black?

Sponsored Links
Yeh I read that, sure the black wire is for the interior light. Yellow is the outside light

Ok. You need to move the single red from COM to L1.

Then run a 3 core and earth cable from this switch to the new switch.
Connect one core to each terminal, it doesn't matter which, along with the black and red already there.
Ensure you connect the same colour to COM at old and new switch. Other than that the colours don't matter.

Excellent thanks for your help.. I’ll give that a go in the morning and let you know

Mike, when you look at EFLI's diagram, do you understand it, know what's going on inside the switches, and know why the whole assembly does what it does?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back