replacing a 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a double light switch. The one I am replacing has L1, L2 and common markings. The new one ( a double ganger) has common and \\\"1 way\\\" and \\\"2 way\\\" markings . Are these the equivalent of L1 and L2 or have got the wrong switch?

One switch controls the ceiling lights and the other some counter top lights (kitchen).

The old switch on top (from left to right) has a Common, and L1 and an L2. On the bottom it has an L1, an L2 and a Common

I have 2 blue wires with red sleeves going to the top L2. I have one red going to the top L1. I have one red going to the top Common. There is also a short red linking wire between the top L1 and top Common.

the bottom Common has a yellow with a red band and the bottom L1 has another yellow with a red band. The bottom L2 is empty.

The replacement switch has 2 separate units. Each one has a common on top and one the bottom has a 1 Way on the left and a \\\" way on the right.
Can you suggest how I may wire this correctly?
thanks

Sponsored Links
connect like for like. 1 way is L1 and 2 way os L2. remember to turn the power off first

Wow that was almost too quick. Thanks very much.

I notice when I switch off the switches that there is a small flash internally sometimes. Does this mean I have not done this correctly? All the fittings looked secure.
thanks

the flash you see is the load being broken (back emf) nothing to worry about

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back