new light switch has different terminals!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please help if you can! I have a double, one way switch for a hall light and a porch light. The old switch has: top, L1, L2 and Common with a red cable going into L2 and another red cable into Common. There is a bridging red cable going from top common into bottom common and a grey wire going into the bottom L2. There is nothing in either top or bottom L1. The new switch has two separate black terminals boxes, each one has an L at the top and and L1 and L2 at the bottom.

Not sure what goes where on this new switch!

Sponsored Links
L is the same as com, obviously L1 and L2 are the same as before.

You will probably find that on the old switch that each set of terminals is arranged in a triangle formation, with com being at one end and L1/L2 at the other. Because the old switch is two gang there will be two of these sets of terminals, and one will be vertically flipped - just bear that in mind when wiring the new one so that you don't get your switches mixed up.

I'm sure some kind soul will have a picture that better explains what I'm trying to describe here!

Thanks for quick reply. However, still a little puzzled.

Based on your explanantion, I assume I put one red cable into the L on the one black box, and then bridge to the other L on the other black box (to replicate the common set up on the old switch). That leaves me with an L1 and an L2 on each of the two black boxes. I have one red cable left and one grey cable, which of these do these go into?

Sorry to be dim but I am new to this!

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much. You solved my problem and the switch is in and working. Very much appreciate your time and trouble.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back