2 Gang Light Switch - Wired Incorrectly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I have an outside light which is controlled by a light switch in my porch. The Light Switch is a 2 Gang switch, one switch for the Porch light and the other for the Outside light.

Both are working absolutely fine but something really bugs me:

The Porch light switch is the wrong way round (by this i mean that the light is on when the bottom of the switch is out and off when the bottom of the switch is pressed in)

The Outside light works the opposite way round which is obviously correct.

Sorry this is long winded but my questions really were...

1. Does it really matter that they are wired this way?
2. Is it something I could easily change without having too much electrical knowledge, i.e 2 wires the wrong way round?

Thankyou very much for any help, It's all much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
makes no difference

you have 2 options

1) turn the switch upside down (then that one will be right, but the other wrong) :LOL:

2) make sure both switches use C and L1

I suspect one is using C and L2

That is to say, EACH switch uses C and L1 not both on the same switch

Cheers for the quick reply Breezer,

I have had a quick look in the switch and there is a link wire between the two Com terminals.

Does that help any?

As long as it's still safe I might just leave it anyway. Like you say if i turned it upside down the Porch would be right and the Outside light is always on anyway meaning I'll never notice again. (The switch is actually upside down now, so the person before me must have already done that)

Cheers again.

you only need to move the L1 or L2, (choice is yours)

leave the link in the commons as it is

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back