live feed to a 2 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, First post so apologies if getting this all wrong

Replacing a 1 gang switch with a 2 gang and realised the live feed is straight into the switch and not from a ceiling rose.

Is it ok to link the live from one COM to the other?

Also the original 1 gang switch had the neutral from the supply and the light meeting in a choc bloc don't know why..

All I want to do is connect 2 lights one a standard pendant light in a porch and the other a PIR light outside the porch which only has a Live and Neutral No earth.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
While you have the live feed in and the neutral in a terminal block in the back box you will also need to have a switched live and neutral out - to the porch light and the PIR light. So two T&E's going out.

For the live coming into Com run a short piece of insulated cable from the Com to Com this will power the other light.

The two T&E's going out put the brown wires into L1 and L1 respectively for the appropriate lamp - blue wires into the neutral block and earth into the earch block.

If the PIR doesn't require an earth - put the earth into a terminal block and wrap it in insulation tape - just in case the next lamp/PIR does require one.

It is not unusual for the live and neutral loop to appear at the switch instead of the rose. As switches don't usually have anywhere to terminate the extra wires, they are normally connected in choc blocs.

You will need to connect the two COM terminals together, otherwise you will have no live feed to half of your new switch. Connect your neutral to the others in the choc bloc too, otherwise you will have no neutral at your new light.

Connect the CPC (earth) of your wiring to your new fitting too. The fitting might not need it, but it helps protect the cable feeding the fitting. Sleeve the end of the CPC and put it into a piece of choc bloc tucked safely out of the way inside the fitting.

MattNott said:
Also the original 1 gang switch had the neutral from the supply and the light meeting in a choc bloc don't know why..

Because that's how the circuit is completed. It's not a common way of doing things but it does work. It's also done you a big favour because you needed a neutral return for your new light. :) :) :)

PS: Do you have any earths behind that switch? :?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the quick replies.

I will give this a go and let you know if I come across any problems.

In Answer to your question Spacecat there are no earths behind the switch I thought I'd chocbloc them[/wiki]

Everything worked apart from the PIR light which I'm going to change for another as it could just be faulty.

Many thanks

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back