2 way light switch for 1 way use.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've had a turbo brain fart tonight. Was looking at my 2 gang,2 way switch and I'm happy wiring the 2 way for my porch but for my outdoor light I want to wire it 1 way. I've got the downstairs light radial coming to the switch then the cable (1.5mm) going through the wall outside.

Right, do I put the live (from the lighting Cct) to com and then the live for the light into L1?

Use a choc block/WAGO to connect neutrals together (neutral from lighting Cct and from outside light)

Use a choc or wago for the earths?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Right, do I put the live (from the lighting Cct) to com and then the live for the light into L1?
Use a choc block/WAGO to connect neutrals together (neutral from lighting Cct and from outside light)
Use a choc or wago for the earths?
Yes, yes and yes (the last yes assuming that it's a plastic switch and the makers haven't kindly supplied you with an earth terminal to use). If there is a metal back box (and the switch itself, if it's metal), that will also need to be connected to the earths.

If the switch works 'upside down' in comparison with what you'd like (opinions/tastes vary!) movethe light live from L1 to L2.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John.

I thought that but I go away with my job this week so I was leaving instructions for my dad to do it, (I've already put all the wires in) and saw the com, L1 and L2 and just turned solid! I even drew a quick wire diagram to try and work it out. :rolleyes:

Thanks John. I thought that but I go away with my job this week so I was leaving instructions for my dad to do it, (I've already put all the wires in) and saw the com, L1 and L2 and just turned solid! I even drew a quick wire diagram to try and work it out. :rolleyes:
You're welcome. With the switch is one position it connects 'com' to L1, with the switch in the other position, it connects 'com' to L2 - so, as I said, you use either L1 or L2 according to which switch position you want to be 'on' and which you want to be 'off'. In the good old days, it was easy, since (in the UK) 'up was off and down was on'. However, it's a bit less obvious which one wants when one has a modern 'rocker' switch - hence tastes/opinions varying!

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
I thought that but I go away with my job this week so I was leaving instructions for my dad to do it, (I've already put all the wires in) and saw the com, L1 and L2 and just turned solid! I even drew a quick wire diagram to try and work it out.
Why?

o2s2.jpg

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:intermediate#using-2-way-and-3-way-switches-as-1-way-or-2-way

I agree.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back