How to wire a 2 way outdoor switch?

Sponsored Links
You could be pedantic and say there are several live wires, after all it's not just the line but neutral conductors too.

I have a B&Q Dial 2 way outdoor switch as per the picture.
I have 1 4ft batten led light in the garage, and I want the switch near the garage door.

There is a wire from the light to the switch, and another wire from a plug, into a double mains socket, also to the switch.

I have then 2 lives and 2 neutrals. What do I connect to what on switch.

I have tried live from plug to the com socket, and the live from the light to 1 way socket, then tied both neutrals together in a choc block.
Needless to say, the light doesn't light up.

Can someone give me an idiots guide on how to do this.
Not really understanding what you are trying to do here?

on/off switch which is a 2 way option but not being wired 2 way?

You wanting to do this?

upload_2018-12-14_3-3-16.png

Things that are wrong that you should correct:

Connect up the protective earth wires.
Reterminate the live conductor from the black cable.
Re-strip the orange cable. There is copper visible where the orange sheath ends.
Fix the black wire to the neon. It looks to have been pinched by the faceplate screw representing a shock hazard.
Wire up the neon properly.

Sponsored Links
Things that are wrong that you should correct:

Connect up the protective earth wires.
Reterminate the live conductor from the black cable.
Re-strip the orange cable. There is copper visible where the orange sheath ends.
Fix the black wire to the neon. It looks to have been pinched by the faceplate screw representing a shock hazard.
Wire up the neon properly.

Done and now working ok.

Not sure there are two to connect - the orange flex looks like 2-core.
No there wasn't any earthwire in the orange cable and now was there an earthwire in the light cable. It is a white cable extended by the black one. Yes the black had an earth wire, but the white one from the light itself did not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back