Outside light to 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed an outside light and want to connect the wire from the light to a 2 way switch(replacing my current 1 way switch in the room) I have copied the wiring on the 1 way switch and wired this up to the the first switch on the 2 way.
Now lies my problem where do the neutral and the live(outside light) go into the second switch on the 2 way.

Any help and the sarcasm that comes with it is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
it doesnt work like that.

see the sticky for refence section for a drawing

Ok thanks,
A link to the diagram would be appreciated !

As`for it doesn't work like that I don't understand.
If I connect the outside light wires to the current single light switch.. ie.
Blue into the black and red into the brown it works so why not on a two way switch.

Thanks

You will need a 3-wire (plus earth) cable from the existing switch to the second switch.

To see the diagrams go back to the Electrics UK list of postings and right at the top you'll see something that's called 'sticky'.
The two-way lighting wiring diagrams are the first thing you'll find.

Enjoy!

Sponsored Links
See the FAQ section Here

Look on page three at a post made by Lectrician
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:32 pm (about half way down the page)

Why would I need 3 way cable.
I am just replacing a one way light switch (this controls the room light) with a two way to accomodate the outside light. One switch to control the room light the other to switch on the outside light. The single light has 2 red wires and one black (com - red , terminal 1 - black , terminal 2 - red) and earth of course.
Why cant I link these wires into the second switch .Like I said before if I put the brown and blue into he single swith the light works.

Thanks

bodge it and leg it said:
One switch to control the room light the other to switch on the outside light.

Well why didn't you say this in the first place?

You want to replace a 1 gang switch with a 2 gang switch.

There is such a vast casam of a difference between 1 & 2 GANG, and 1 & 2 WAY it is untrue.

The light you have connected to the 1G1W switch I presume has no neutral connection, so you will have connected it to the live & switched live of the existing light fitting. I presume the existing light was off when the new one "worked"?

You need to read up (either a DIY electrics manual or the reference diagrams to understand fully how a circuit works before you go any further).

It is far better to do it this way and learn the basics rather than just ask us for the mechanics of what to do.

The new light (outside) does have neutral (blue) wire. My current 1WGS(room) has black wire , is this not neutral.
What will happen if I put the two wires(blue/brown) from the outside light into 2WGS2 term'ls 1 and 2 and link a wire from S1 to S2. ie red to brown. will this not feed it with a live.

You definately need to read up!!

When you wire the new light as described, it will work when the existing light is switched off, but when you switch the existing light on, the new light would extinguish.

Think about your "neutral" for a moment. The red at the switch is a live. If that black wire were neutral, what do you think would happen on closing the switch?

Would the neutral then become live.

I no I should read up and learn more and with time I will.

I am just short of time at the moment. This is the reason why I have posted the question, sorry for being presumptious but I thought forums like this were to help and maybe give an answer to ones questions.

Thanks.

No! The neutral and live would present a dead short, and the lighting protective device would operate....!

I'm trying to help.... to help you see that you need to learn a bit before blindly continuing with what you're doing. This is how accidents happen.

Can you see my point?

Short of time....not sure which wire goes where........BANG!........RIP.......

Yes I see your point .............

Maybe it would have been easier to a put a plug on the end the damn wire.

So to try and make sense of all this I have two bloody wires(not inc earth) from the outside light and I have 2gang switch which now has the wires for the room light in switch 2.
As for switch 1 I am unable to put the outside light wires in this....correct.

I trip to the local shop for candles then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back