2 hot, 1 luke warm, 6 cold radiators on ground floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

At the moment we only seem to have 2 hot radiators, 1 luke warm radiator and 6 cold radiators on our ground floor. What is the problem?

Radiator on 1st and 2nd floor seem ok.

Boiler is new, radiators are old.

Thanks,
Matthew

Sponsored Links
Balancing, sludge, stuck TRV's, failing pump, airlocks; take your pick

Do not like the sound of any of them.
Balancing - unlikely as they have been hot before
Sludge - possible. I guess I should power flush?
TRVs - nope, they are old valves
Failing pump - nope, we have one in the system boiler and another on the system
Airlock - perhaps. Do I just bleed the valves?

I guess if we power flush the system, it makes sense to fit some TRVs. Problem is that eventually we will remove rads and install underfloor heating. Do not really want to spend the dosh now.

Thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links
No, would like in the future. Thinking downstairs would all be underfloor and controlled separately. 1st & 2nd could be zones or just use TRVs?

When you say a new boiler, how new? The system should have been cleaned when the new boiler was put in and TRV's fitted as a matter of course. Where is boiler in relation to the cold rads?

New boiler within the last year. I think an additive was added to the system and he fitted a sludge filter below the boiler. Boiler is on ground floor. Y valve on 1st floor. How water coming out both sides of the valve.

Well, if it's that new (within a year) then I would suggest that you could call the installer and get them to have a look at it.

I guarantee my work for the first year and if it's anything to do with what I've done then I'd sort it. If it was me then I'd at least take a look at it, basic customer service in my book.

When you bleed the radiators, what colour is the system water? Was it converted to sealed when the new boiler went in? Is it a system boiler or a Heat Only?

Yeah, next step is to call the installer.

I suspect it is not an issue with the boiler but another part of the system (which is old) so happy to be reasonable to find the correct fix.

Water colour when bleeding radiators varies from clean to a little dirty. Not black. Some radiators seem to bleed with more pressure than others. I struggled to get one to bleed at all.

It is a sealed system. We installed a system boiler to provide some extra pumping and expansion capacity / redundancy. Also means that those extra items are covered on the warranty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back