2 hours to fix a toilet leak

Some do and some dont opps, all sorts out there.

Fair enough, thanks.

I must admit, I have have previously used a multitool to cut through loo seat connectors, and on other occasions kept bending the threaded bolt until it snapped.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yartin, no comment on Pimlico's rates??

Andy
I have seen them long time ago, are they now £200 vat inc. So what? Big deal, well done to you to spot it, they've been around for ages.
Do you want a trophy medal??

If he's been on the job for 2hrs why shouldn't he get paid 2hrs?.

I was thinking of this today while stuck in an engine.

You could have a set rate for a job (ie major service including valve shimming on a bike), but to make that work you would have to charge some people more than the time actually spent to even out the longer jobs that require camshaft removal to re-shim.

To me that's unfair and that's why we charge per job.

So for the plumber it wasn't a simple in and out 1hr job, he's had to start cutting corroded bolts out (through no fault of his own) so is he supposed to suck the labour time up?.

The point is that £80 per hour is reasonable compared to Pimlico.

Andy
It's £80 plus vat = £96
I pay £60 to my plumber, he isn't vat registered, am in greater London inside M25, he quotes me for a job say 2 hours £120, he spends more time but still charges for 2 hours, This is called "fair and not ripped off".
For me £96 is too high when I pay £60.
It depends where you are and you compare it with.

1½ of those two hours was probably spent playing on his phone posting barking mad conspiracy theory nonsense on internet....

seriously though, probably took up half his day by the time he had spoke to you on the phone,picked up part, travel to your home then back to base, then made out invoice...
£380 a day - 91K a year - 21k to run business (tools vans) so 70K a year -

conclusion - does all sound a bit steep to me.
Your calculations and assumptions reveal that you actually know sod all about running a plumbing busines

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back