2 Insulation Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I live in a 1900s Victorian house which has a suspended wooden floor on the ground floor and a converted loft space on the top floor.

The wooden floor on the ground floor has very little insulation and so we get some impressive draughts coming up between the floorboards in the kitchen, where the floor is bare. I understand that this is good for the structure of the house as it helps it breathe, and so I'm reticent to insulate and stop the draughts unless I know I'm not going to cause any problems.

I saw a post here saying that you could use polystyrene which you cut to fit between the joists. Is that sensible? I simply want to ensure I don't get condensation or rot on the joists and to stop the draughts, if that's the sensible thing to do.

Secondly, the converted loft. One of the rooms has an uncovered wooden floor. I get draughts there too and I reckon it's helping to keep that room chilly. Should I be getting these draughts? If I should be getting these draughts, would it be a bad idea to put down underlay and laminate? If I'm not meant to have those draughts, and I put down laminate, will those draughts cause problems?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back