2 lighting circuits problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all. glad i found you guys, i have a problem. many infact but i'll stick to the electrical one for the moment :LOL:

Excellent info on the site btw :)
I'm not a fully qualified electrician but have worked for the electrical and mechanical repair and service industry. city & guilds, 16th edition but never actually worked on domestic electrics professionally.

A friend of mine has just bought a house decked with downlighters. Landing, hallway, kitchen and utility and I think in one of the bedrooms as well. All one one single lighting circuit (6A). That would be problem number 1.

Main issue is the kitchen and utility room are fed via a 2 gang dimmer. one knob for utility and one knob for kitchen.
The kitchen is wired to the terminals at the top and the utility is wired to the terminals at the bottom. I get 190v at the top terminals (kitchen) (bearing in mind the potentiometer may not have been fully wound up)
and 240v at the bottom terminals (utility) yet the lights in the utility do not work. yet the kitchen lights do work.
I believe the feed for the utility is from the kitchen as the utility is an extension.
All bulbs are ok.

Any ideas????

Please ask away if more information is required. Hope you can help ;) and thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
What wires are connected to the terminals, what are the notations on the terminals, where are you measuring from & to (the voltage you are reading is with respect to what, neutral or earth?) Is there a voltage at any of the non working lamps (L to E) when switched on?

Hi and thanks for reply.
If I'm totally honest i can't remember exactly how they are connected, not much help for you i know.. 2x twin & E.
I knew I should of drawn a circuit diagram whilst I was there dohhhhhhh I only though I'd try and get some info for him. mmmm

I was measuring between L & N on both.
the only way i could measure the lamp holders was to shove probes into holder, needless to say i got 0v.

If i could get some advice on how they should be connected, i'm hoping that would be enough. but who knows.

many thanks

Sorry to say this, but I think "dohhh" just about sums it up, in the interest of your friends safety call someone in who knows what they are doing.

Sponsored Links
ok i totally understand.

Is there anyway someone could give me some idea of how it should be connected.
All i know is that the utility lighting is fed from the kitchen lighting and the switch is a 2 way 2 gang dimmer.

Any guidance would be amazing.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back