Home lighting- down lights circuit on RCD

Sponsored Links
I double checked wires, I will check again tomorrow. Why has it affected others though? (Hall, living room etc) because the kitchen is in between hall and utility. Kitchen works nowhere else downstairs does?

It will depend on how the installer installed the loop in live and neutrals.
There are no rules on the direction that can be taken, even though ideally shortest logical route. It could be that the utility is part of an altered circuit and extended from the original.

I double checked wires, I will check again tomorrow. Why has it affected others though? (Hall, living room etc) because the kitchen is in between hall and utility. Kitchen works nowhere else downstairs does?

It will depend on how the installer installed the loop in live and neutrals.
There are no rules on the direction that can be taken, even though ideally shortest logical route. It could be that the utility is part of an altered circuit and extended from the original.

That's what I reckon. Would it be much of a job for an electrician to sort if this is the case?

Sponsored Links
Yes they are off too.
Is it odd that the kitchen lights still work though coz they on the same circuit as downstairs lights & smokes

Yes they are off too.
Is it odd that the kitchen lights still work though coz they on the same circuit as downstairs lights & smokes
Not odd, if someone has been messing with the conductor connections, in fact not unusual, what is odd is that you don't seem to be taking in the information that has been given to you and gained an understanding how this is possible.
Don't want to sound harsh but I suggest in future you gain an understanding of circuit configurations and how they work, as this quite simple task seems to be beyond your comprehension!

Yes they are off too.
Not odd, if someone has been messing with the conductor connections, in fact not unusual, what is odd is that you don't seem to be taking in the information that has been given to you and gained an understanding how this is possible.
Don't want to sound harsh but I suggest in future you gain an understanding of circuit configurations and how they work, as this quite simple task seems to be beyond your comprehension!

You're right my understanding isn't very good, but I wired it exactly as it was previously, and I did the same for the kitchen ones.
I am taking this on board and I will refer to it all when I look again tomorrow.
Sorry if I'm frustrating you, I'm just trying to get an understanding of how to rectify it and I want to cover all possibilities!

I have sometimes found that conductors can break when taking wires from an old ceiling 'rose' and reterminating them into another connector.

This is because the conductor has been squeezed under the terminal screw for a couple of decades and disturbing it can cause the wire to break.

So look carefully at every wire that you have moved in all of the rooms. You may find a wire has broken off. Remember the neutral is just as important as the line conductor.

Lighting circuits are radial. That means the feed wires (both line and neutral) start at the consumer unit and hop from one light to the next.

eg

MCB > A > B > C > D > E

So, if there is a break in the wiring on the output side of light C, then A,B and C will work, but D and E will not.

I wired it exactly as it was previously, and I did the same for the kitchen ones...................
I'm just trying to get an understanding of how to rectify it and I want to cover all possibilities!

As you have power to the kitchen lights, that means you have a supply to that point, but you have no power to lights beyond that location.
So even though you have stated you have copied identical to previous set up, it seems you have introduced a problem that prevents either or both continuity of the live line or the neutral conductors. This will give you power loss to other lights on the circuit , the reasons why are straight forward, you have no contact at either or both line and neutral from either the kitchen or a nearby room.
There is no point starting at the consumer unit, unless the lighting circuit is spurred at the MCB for other parts of the circuit (this cannot be ruled out)
But I would suggest/recommend a first visit to the kitchen light.
You will be looking for loose/broken conductors or nipped insulation at live and neutral loops. You may even missed one out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back