Changing light fitting on a wired loop... help needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd like to put up a new light fitting. Just opened up the existing fitting and there seem to be an awful lot of wires. The light is in a hallway with two switches at either end, and 3 lights in total connected on a loop (turn a switch on, all lights turn on/off).

With my new light fitting there is a white 4-terminal connector block. The instructions mention:

Where a ring/loop circuit exists there will be a 4th set of wires (usually red) that are not connected to the L, N or E of the fitting. The circuit must be kept together in the 4th terminal of the connection block, and insulated from the fitting and the other wires.

I've changed light fitting before, but not a looped circuit.

Any advice on how I can connect the existing setup to the 4-terminal connection block?

What are all the wires in the existing fitting for?

Thanks

file.php

file.php

file.php

Sponsored Links
On the picture of ceiling rose you will see a centre terminal with three brown cores in, look carefully it is marked "loop in"(just behind the three cables) those conductors are all permanently live.
They will all go in to one of the 4 terminals, of the 4 terminal block pictured.

On the right hand side you have four blue cores(One is the flex of light), these are neutrals, these again all together in on of the three empty terminals, of the 4 terminal block pictured. One is the flex of light

On the left of picture, you have two brown cores(One is flex of light) and a blue that has been sleeved brown, this are switch lives (become live when switch is closed/on)
They are all terminated together in one of the empty terminals, on the 4 terminal block pictured.

The green and yellow cores are CPC/earths and all go in to the last empty terminal.

the two browns in the left go in one bit of connection block, the 3 or 4 browns out the middle go in abit of connection block. and the blues on the right go in one bit, also all the earths(green and yellow) go in one bit. then on the two two browns are your live, and the blues are your neutral. you live all the browns you put in second alone and connect your earth up. hope this makes sense, a picture of the light fitting would help to!

Sponsored Links
the two browns in the left go in one bit of connection block, the 3 or 4 browns out the middle go in abit of connection block. and the blues on the right go in one bit, also all the earths(green and yellow) go in one bit. then on the two two browns are your live, and the blues are your neutral. you live all the browns you put in second alone and connect your earth up. hope this makes sense, a picture of the light fitting would help to!
What about the sleeved blue?

the two browns in the left go in one bit of connection block, the 3 or 4 browns out the middle go in abit of connection block. and the blues on the right go in one bit, also all the earths(green and yellow) go in one bit.
He's got a light with a 4-terminal connector strip.

I assume he can just put the wires in any terminals, as you've not specified?

then on the two two browns are your live, and the blues are your neutral. you live all the browns you put in second alone and connect your earth up. hope this makes sense
Not really.

Want to try it again, only in English?

a picture of the light fitting would help to!
Would help to what?

Hi
I've got a similar issue. I've changed a fair few ceiling roses but I've just bought a light with only 3 connections and I have a loop circuit. The live, neutral and earth wires are self explanatory but Any advice on what I do with the loop wires? Can I just buy a 3 wire connection and install that in the new rose?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back