lighting loop in wall plate not ceiling rose - how to extend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house we are in doesn't have looped wiring connections in ceiling roses (upstairs). Each light pendant has one T&E going back to the switch/wall plate.

In the wall plate, there are 3 T&E's - the black wires connected together in one chock block. On the switch itself, there are two red wires going into what is marked as "loop", the 3rd red wire is on the switch side.

Question I have, I want to extend the circuit to have a two gang switch that can control a fan independently of the light pendant.

I don't know if the above seems unusual, but is it a case of feeding a 4th T&E to the wall plate, replace the 1 gang switch with 2 gang, connect all 4 black wires together in a chock block, and the 4 reds into the switch (two being loop, the other two being switched)

If it was a "normal" ceiling rose, I think I could figure it out, the way the "loop" is terminated at the wall plate is confusing me.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
electrics:lighting:slhar1w.gif

As you can see from the above you will need to run a cable out from the switch to the fan.

Chri5, thanks for youre reply/picture. What you have drawn looks like my set up before I add my 4th cable to the wall plate. I might not have worded my original post correctly, but waht I was trying to achieve is to have two switches in the same cluster that will control the light and fan independently.

Maybe I've misunderstood.... :(

Sponsored Links
Is the fan and light in the same unit with a common neutral?
If so you will get away with replacing the cable from the switch up to the light/fan with a 3c&e so you can have 2 switched lives, a neutral and an earth to it.
All you need to do is link the permanent lives across the commons on the switch, brown to one L1 and black (sleeved brown) to the other L1.
Use grey (sleeved blue) as your neutral. Earth sleeved gn/yel to the earth block in the switch, then at the fitting brown to the L for the light, black(bn) to the L for the fan, grey(bu) to the neutral and earth(gn/yel) to the earth terminal.
You should also post a notice of "wiring to two versions of BS7671" at your consumer unit, these are available from any wholesaler.

Chri5, thanks for youre reply/picture. What you have drawn looks like my set up before I add my 4th cable to the wall plate.
I don't think he did draw it - I think it might have been Spark123.

But in any event - it was already here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:single-way-lighting

You know - the Wiki, as in the

folder_wiki.gif
Wiki: Please see if the answer to your query is already covered by the Wiki

you can see at the top of the forum?

If you look in it you'll find that drawing, and not far below it one of a 2-gang switch and 2 lights, which ought to be close enough to a 2-gang switch with 1 light and 1 fan for you to proceed.

The fan is in a seperate unit, but I can see from the links exactly what I need to do now.

I did look in the Wiki first, honest gov :oops: just didn't look hard enough.

OK - don't be embarrassed - it is poorly organised, and one of the things a few of us want to do, when we all find our round tuits, is improve it, so any feedback on what stopped you from finding what you needed would be much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back