two gang switch query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to connect a two gang switch which will supply a light and a wall mirror. The switch is dimmer controlled. Can I connect both switches to the same ceiling rose? My logic would be to connect both the neutral switch wire in the same ceiling rose slots and the ,'Live' in the loop. is this correct?

Sponsored Links
markymark31 said:
I'm looking to connect a two gang switch which will supply a light and a wall mirror. The switch is dimmer controlled. Can I connect both switches to the same ceiling rose? My logic would be to connect both the neutral switch wire in the same ceiling rose slots and the ,'Live' in the loop. is this correct?

That sounds very worrying, or maybe your explanation hasn't come across very clearly - The neutral isn't connected to the switch. The two conductors are the permanent live, and the switched live that is usually marked with a red or brown sleeve as a live conductor.

Connect a dimmer across live and neutral, and you will almost certainly fry it!

thanks for replying. i meant the switch live which is the neutral with the red sleeving.

Sponsored Links
If you have no constructive advice to offer than why bother? Clearly a case of having too much time on your hands.

Nobody gets paid to contribute to this forum. Its a spare time activity.
Its pointless spending our spare time typing out an explaination if its already properly written down in the section where the frequently asked questions are.

Your proper response should be

"OK, thanks. I'll try that".

Come back and ask if after you've tried that, you still have problems,

are you all for real? Get a life you jokers. I've worked it out. Something you all our clearly incapable of. This forum is clearly a waste of time.

markymark31 said:
are you all for real? Get a life you jokers. I've worked it out. Something you all our clearly incapable of. This forum is clearly a waste of time.
Waste of time? So 62,000 people have posted 0.658 million articles on this site for nothing then? Well you must be right, we're all wrong. Great. :rolleyes:

markymark31 said:

well if its a waste of time why are you posting?

and has been said, we are here and dont get paid, so we made the wiki and sticky posts to help people like you, and all you do is give abuse. It is YOU that are a a joker, just because you dindt get the answer handed to you on a plate does not give you the right to be abusive.

I also take it you have a lack of understanding of the English language since it does clearly state

"Wiki: Please see if the answer to your query is aleady covered by the Wiki"

markymark31 said:

I wouldn't say that, this forum has been helpful to me. yes sometimes you don't get the answer your looking for, I know if you check any my threads, but don't get personal, take on what people are saying and if you need more help or disagree let the forum know.

This is a real good forum. I was at another forum where all the answers where of the sarcastic nature unless you where a pro and that was all they said to any my queries, GET A PRO.

So please come back and take the help on offer.

markymark31 said:

I can't believe you have even got the gall to post this.

This is free information that would otherwise cost you a call out fee and quite possibly another fee for doing the job and yet you come here giving abuse.

By all rights you should be paying a qualified person to do the job anyway door's that way. :arrow:

Wheres that mate? Its hard to see in this forum. The question wasn't answered and the response was just blatant sarcasm so my response was justified. Thats how I have the gall to type what I did. Now your all boring the arse off me so I'll bid you farewell and leave you to provide unhelpful answers to anyone else looking for a bit of advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back