Switch wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

In my lounge I have two wall lights and a ceiling rose.

I had a standard 3 light switch which controlled each light.

I purchased a dimmer switch with only two switches on it with the intention that one would control the ceiling rose and the other control BOTH wall lights.

When I removed the old switch it had two wires (red and black) that looped from the ceiling rose switch and into the two switches that controlled the wall lights.

I have not replaced these two wires into the new dimmer switch.

I have now wired the dimmer switch and the ceiling rose works fine but the wall lights do not. I am assuming that those two wires were used to bring the feed from the ceiling rose to power the wall lights.

Is there anyway I can wire the new dimmer switch to power the wall lights in the same way or is it not a good idea to wire it this way?

New switch has L1, L2, COM for each dimmer.

I hope I didn't loose any of you there.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you tell us how the original switches were wired or is that now lost in the mists of time?

Was there by any chance a link wire across the original gangs of the switch, that you have not replaced?
Do you have a safe means of testing for voltage ie an approved voltage indicator?
Are the wall lights suitable to be dimmed?

Can you tell us how the original switches were wired or is that now lost in the mists of time?

Definitely lost in the mist :(.

Was there by any chance a link wire across the original gangs of the switch, that you have not replaced?
Do you have a safe means of testing for voltage ie an approved voltage indicator?
Are the wall lights suitable to be dimmed?

The only link wire *I think* was the mixture of red and black wire going across the original gangs of the switch.

I do not have a safe means of testing to hand however I can confirm that if I replace the old switch I cannot get the wall lights to work either so those wires going across the gangs of the switch were doing something!

That will teach me not to note the existing wiring!

Sponsored Links
If this is a two gang switch then you would only require to link across the permanent live of the gang of the ceiling light and the wall light.
As I assume that you have disconnected the perm live of the wall lights by removing a link.

Thanks. It is a two gang switch.

So all I need to do is link across from the red wire of the ceiling light into the appropriate COM in the switch for the wall lights?

I am assuming nothing is required for L1?

Thanks

Ideally I would personally recommend testing for perm live at ceiling line and testing that this does not exist at the com of wall lights.
But if the issue is that the omission of this link has disconnect the perm live of wall lights (which is likely), then linking across coms of each switch should resolve the issue, providing you have actually got the perm live in com of ceiling and not L1. L1 of the wall switch would have the switch lives of the wall light there, but it is impossible to know without testing, so please appreciate me being a little hesitant in answering your question.

Can you send pictures, or at least describe EXACTLY what wires you have at the switch, and how many link wires were present.

I would guess by what has been described earlier.
That there are a perm live at the com and switch line at L1 for for ceiling light and assuming the two wall lights were individually switch (three gang switch)
Then I would hazard a guess that there are two switch lives and would have been a link between gang 1 and 2, and between 2 and 3 at the coms.
So I am guessing that the set up now has the two switch lives connected across the second gang!

Thanks all.

1 link wire was present.

PrenticeBoyofDerry is describing the exact setup of the wiring.

In any event I have taken on board what you say and will get the perm live tested.

If that is the case, then you would require both wall switch live at L1, then a live link between both gangs at com.
But testing would be the ideal method to resolve this rather than guessing and making assumptions.
Don't use a neon indicator to test the are unreliable and dangerous!
Use either an approved voltage indicator or a multimeter, to test for voltage at the switch you will require a CPC/Earth to test across, there is an earth cable at the switches?

When testing for live, put both switch gangs in open/off position.
Then test across each terminal containing a conductor on the switch to the earth terminal, this is a live test so be very aware of that!
You are looking for the conductor that measure somewhere near 240V, there should only be one if I have understood your problem, that would be the com and permanently live.
Once you have found this, this cable can be put in either com of either gang, then link to the second gang via a small length of cable that should be identified as live(as should all the other live and switch lives), so either a red or brown core cable would be suitable.
Then the other cables are the switch lives, which can be terminated at L1 of their the gangs that correspond with the lighting you wish them to operate.

Thank you.

I have found the permanent live and have put a small length of cable across the gangs which gets the wall lights to work however I cannot get the wall lights to switch off or dim!

Any ideas?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back