Bathroom wall light connection - earth loop problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've one final light to fit in a new flat and have discovered along the way various permutations of wiring in the wall cavities - this one's stumped me though.

Purchased light fitting itself has wires for L, N and E.

Wall has two L's and N's, each connected to L and N in wall connector block i.e. two L's into one point on connector block and same for N's. Simple enough - connect corresponding light wiring to relevant point on connector block.

However, where normally the same would apply to E's, this time there's four E wires from wall, with two each connected to seperate ends of another connector block with no connection point for E wire on light fitting ; something I assume I can't simply ignore. Was planning to try and connect the light E wire to one of ends of the above but three wires squeezed into one end doesn't sound quite right.

Any guidance greatly appreciated on this last hurdle. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
They may be earths from another circuit or a place where supplementary bonding conductors are connected. These must all stay connected together as they are. Are some of the wires much thicker than the other ones?

edit: You would need to add another earth conductor to connect to your light fitting from those earth cables.
Also, is that fitting designed for use in a bathroom?

Just had a further look and you're suspicions are correct - two of the E wires are very thick at one end (thin at other) and yes, this is a bathroom light.

Please could you clarify how'd I'd add another earth conductor to the light earth wire ?

I'm presuming if I left the thick E wires as is, re-connected both the thin ones to another block and then attach the light E wire to this, this would be the wrong move ?

Thanks.

Yes, wrong move. All earth cables must stay connected together. They provide the safety earth bonding in your bathroom.
You need to add another earth wire one to run to the new light fitting.
Get a bigger connector block if the existing one isnt large enough.

Sponsored Links
OK, all earth wires conected together and light up and on before darkness curtailed efforts.

Thanks very much for your help on this one - appreciate your time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back