Connecting kitchen downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some downlights to install under my kitchen wall units. When I had the kitchen delivered it came with the lights (240v- 2.5A) that connect to a plug socket via a 2 pin flex ( 3 pin standard plug at one end and 2 pin push in connector at the other, to go into the light fitting).
An electrician has already wired a circuit for the lights, seperate from the ring main. It has a 3A wall switch and from this there is a ring that has 3 different points of connection for the downlights.
I have thought about connecting the existing lead from the walls to the light via the flex (the one with the 2 pin connection) via a permanent mains connector. There are 2 leads of each (L,N,E) at each point .
Is it ok to do this? What do I do with the leads that are returning TO the wall? Do they go into the same terminal of the connector as the leads coming FROM the wall?

Sponsored Links
No need for a ring style connection.

Go fuse spur or flex outlet plate -> 1st lamp in, then the next lead goes from the out of the 1st to the 'in' of the 2nd, repeat, then final one just has the 'in' side.

Thanks Chri5. I cant connect all the lights via a flex as the lights are on different walls and in different remote parts of the kitchen so I need the circuit that is in place, it is just the actual wiring of the lights to the circuit that I wasn't sure about. Luckily I've managed to get hold of the guy who put the circuit in and the solution sounds straight forward enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back