Home lighting- down lights circuit on RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, this is my very first post so be gentle.
Right, I am very confused!!! I've been putting new light fittings in place in the kitchen and utility.
Three new fittings in kitchen installed successfully. Then I get to the utility, wire it exactly the same way as kitchen ones, E to E, L to L, N to N, and loop in a connector, and it doesn't work!!........... The problem doesn't end there!!!
Since this, all the lights on the 'downstairs lights circuit' won't work - APART FROM KITCHEN ONES???!!! I know these are on that loop aswell because when I turn it off on board they go off!! Very confused!!
How can some lights on the circuit work but not others??
I've checked all fittings for loose wires etc but they all seem ok.
This really has got me stumped!
I hope I've explained it well enough.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Phil

Sponsored Links
Yes I took a picture so I knew which were the loop wires and which was the switched live. Do you need me to post it? Not really sure how to but if u want I'll try

Sponsored Links
You are getting confused over colour cores of cables, I doubt you have N-N connection as you are misunderstanding the core colours.
A loop in connection will have generally three brown, three blue and three green/yellow cores. (The last fitting on the circuit would have two of each colour rather than three)
*The three browns represent live connections, 1 permanent live, 1 live that goes to next fitting and 1 that goes to the switch.
*Then the three blues, 1 permanent neutral, 1 neutral to next fitting, then the key to the conundrum, this is the return conductor from the switch and is a switch live, this should be sleeved to identify this.

So to configure these correctly you need to identify the switch live as that should be terminated at the live side of the light, the browns loop together in separate live loop terminal and the neutral to the neutral side.

All earths/CPCs to to that respected terminal.

The final fitting will have two brown (live) to loop, and two blues one is neutral and the second is switch live (not neutral)
Again earth/CPCs to respected terminals.

I will post pics in a min. I wired it following how it was previously and how I did the kitchen ones which are working fine.
How does it explain that some lights on the circuit work and some don't (even ones that haven't been changed)?

The problem will be with one or more of the kitchen lights. Probably a cable or wire not connected.

I will post pics in a min. I wired it following how it was previously and how I did the kitchen ones which are working fine.
How does it explain that some lights on the circuit work and some don't (even ones that haven't been changed)?
I'll stick my neck out and say you didn't!
You now require some testing equipment, that can safely test for voltage and continuity.

Could please explain why the topic heading includes the words "downlight circuit on RCD" is this relevant?

I put 'down light circuit on RCD' because that's what it's called on the RCD unit. It's the downstairs lighting trip.

The kitchen lights all work fine. It's the utility lights that don't work & I double checked the connection. I think I will need some testing equipment or get a pro in.
If there is a problem with a loose connection would it not affect the whole circuit? The new utility lights don't work, the new kitchen lights DO work, the living room, dining room and hall don't (these ones haven't been changed)

That means it is a problem between the kitchen and the utility room then. Probably where ever the loop connection in the kitchen is there will be a wire which is not connected in properly.

As above, just because the kitchen lights work, does not mean the fault does not lie there. I suggest you double check the loop live and loop neutral connections. Could be loose or the insulation of the cable is nipped in at the terminal and the conductor is not making contact.

I double checked wires, I will check again tomorrow. Why has it affected others though? (Hall, living room etc) because the kitchen is in between hall and utility. Kitchen works nowhere else downstairs does?
:(
Thanks for all your help guys.

As above, just because the kitchen lights work, does not mean the fault does not lie there. I suggest you double check the loop live and loop neutral connections. Could be loose or the insulation of the cable is nipped in at the terminal and the conductor is not making contact.

Ok thanks will check again tomorrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back