2 motorised valves heating question for 2 story House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

This is my first post and bare with me as I know little.

I have a question regarding the heating in my two story house
I have a boiler and rads
Down stairs in the utiltity there are 2 motorised valves 1 for up 1 for down stairs. Beisde them is a double switch for will turn each of them off/on manually
Across on the other wall facing them is the clock to turn on the boiler.Its a simple pull out the pins to turn on job(off/clock/constant setting on it)

the question I want to ask is.

I want to be able to make the boiler come on lets say during the night for a bit and only heat upstairs as there is no need to heat down stairs but I would also like to be able to have the heat come on down stairs before I get up for work etc.

i had an electrician out at it and it he said it can't be done unless you run new wires back to clock. as this is a 2 story house its a non runner. is there some wireless system out there that would make this work as in turn the boiler on and open/close the motorised valves to suit which zone you want to send heat to.

I hope this makes sense and you might be able to help

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your question makes sense the arrangement doesn't, why the electrician made such a deal I do not know, although I once had an electrician phone me and ask me to show him how to wire a three port valve up. They are not too familiar often with central heating wiring. I do not know a wireless system that will work for you you may need to search on line and see what you can find. wireless operated motorised valves for example.

Would need to know more on the layout of the system and wiring, but as Pete said it is doable.

Never ask an electrician to look at heating controls is the first place to start though.

As for wireless - a heating engineer worth his salt would get something to work given enough funds. But ultimately you need something to give the boiler a run signal from the valves - again more in for needed.

I can think of a couple of ways of doing using various Honeywell products; but it wouldn't be a conventional method nor very cheap.

Anyway it is way past my bedtime and the brain has had a hard day.

Never ask an electrician to look at heating controls is the first place to start though..

Oi! same can be said about most plumbers (and some heating engineers)and If I didn't agree with you I'd be hurt! :)
good job my sparkie days are in my past!

I dont know if I am reading the ops post wrong (it may be the wine) but this should be easy
does the boiler time switch also act on the valves at the moment Gerryirl?
as Dan has said a bit more info or some pics would be helpful

Matt

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if I've missed something but this is an a plan plus. Just use two cm927s to control both areas and leave the existing timer to run your hot water. You can download the wiring diagram from the Honeywell Web site and substitute the timer and room stat for the cm927. The cm927 is a remote programmable room stat. It controls time and temperate, can be portable or fixed. The remote version has the suffix rf I think.

No.

The 927 is wireless. The 907 is wired. NG[/b was suffixed to the 6 series. Honeywell have not used RF to my knowledge. :rolleyes: But hey, what do I know about controls and energy efficiency?

The OP, from my understanding needs to remote power the valves.

The trouble being giving the switch signal back to the boiler.

This can be done utilising a third BDR90 as a boiler relay. Allowing the valves and their local BDR's to be powered independently from a fused spur.

Where is the boiler? How many room stats do you have? How many channels on the programmer? Where is your cylinder? Is the system fully pumped or semi gravity?

This is so simple, I'm missing something.

Down stairs in the utiltity there are 2 motorised valves 1 for up 1 for down stairs. Beisde them is a double switch for will turn each of them off/on manually
Across on the other wall facing them is the clock to turn on the boiler.Its a simple pull out the pins to turn on job(off/clock/constant setting on it)

So just replace the manual switches for the BDR91. Then you can have a 921 or 927 upstairs and a 921 or 927 downstairs.

You may even be able to use the Pack 5 kit, but that depend whether the zone valves just open and close without doing anything to the boiler as I suspect.

Dan why the relay? Why not use the zone valve relay? How many channels does the timer have?

OP said:
he said it can't be done unless you run new wires back to clock. as this is a 2 story house its a non runner

I am assuming, as it is apparently a difficult job. And in the absence of any feedback from the OP (which makes this largely an ego massaging exercise) that the boiler is remote from the controls.

If it is all within easy wiring distance, then yes it is an S-Plan+, or maybe even just an S-Plan without hot water.

Or maybe even a C-Plan.

Or maybe even a combi.

We don't know.

OP asked for wireless.

I have given a wireless.

Have you any alternatives?

What can Viessmann do?

No zone valves or room stats on my installs. Mixing valves divicons weather comp. I assumed the sparky was out of his depth so ignored his statement. If the clock can control the boiler there a wire to it somewhere. The clock is in the room with the zone valves. If it's two zone valves for heating the only mystery is hot water. May be one of the valves is for hot water?

I think the programmer just brings the boiler on, then you manually switch the MV's on.

Simple ain't it, 2 BDR receivers and 2 programmable stats.

Program the programmer the on times for the boiler, and program the programmable stats to open the MV's.

hi guys thanks alot for all the replies. I think doitall has it spot on there. At present the clock just brings the boiler on, the 2 MV's have to be manually turned on of is you want to split upstairs down stairs and they do not get the boiler to come on. I want to be able to control both zones independently as to save some oil really, not to be heating the down stairs of the house at night an no one there

To answer other questions. The boiler is outside , the tank is up stairs in hot press. the heating system is a closed system, pump in boiler. there is 2 room stats one up, one down stairs.
the MV are just to open/close the two zones ie to allow heat through if open, they have no control over boiler coming on, only the clock controls boiler coming on which is my problem really

What do the roomstats do then?

What you want is certainly do able, but exactly how depends on several things.

So:

Roomstats?
How exactly is the hot water controlled?

I can see a mix of John and my ideas here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back