2 Neutral Cables - Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for my overly cautious post.
I have already swapped over one light fitting due to the awesome help on this group and after testing today everything is working perfectly.

Coming to my next one I wanted to check I am doing everything safely and correctly!

On the old fitting i have two neutral cables fit separately, on the new fitting I only have one fitting to plug them into.

Is it safe for me to plug the two separate neutral cables into the one neutral socket on the new light fitting?

I have held off doing any further work so far, best to go slow and not have a huge electrics bill to put things right than screw up!

Thanks for your advice!

Attachments

• fitting-old.jpeg
    fitting-old.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 46
  • fitting-new.jpeg
    fitting-new.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
you also have 3 lives - the 3 brown wires which will need to be connected up to a separate connector - NOT that light fitting one

you have a loop

Live and neutral wires coming in and then going out to the next light - hence the 2 neutrals
in addition to the 2 lives - you also have a 3rd wire which takes live to the switch and then comes back as a switched live - Blue wire with the brown sleeving to the separate connector - where the light itself is wired.

so the connector you have on the fitting will not work for all those wires

here is a picture of what you have

Yes ,you can put the 2 neutrals into the new terminal blocks neutral terminal. And you will need a fourth terminal block for the 3 brown to go into ,or a 3 way wago.
Does your new light fitting require earthing or is it a class 2 ?
Wondering why there is no earth conductor in the terminal block ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for confirming that, just so i am on the same page, the two neutral cables I can screw into a single neutral block on the new connector?

I understand about having a wago for the three brown cables in the middle as I did this on a previous light fitting.

Yes ,you can put the 2 neutrals into the new terminal blocks neutral terminal. And you will need a fourth terminal block for the 3 brown to go into ,or a 3 way wago.
Does your new light fitting require earthing or is it a class 2 ?
Wondering why there is no earth conductor in the terminal block ?
Thanks for confirming that, just so i am on the same page, the two neutral cables I can screw into a single neutral block on the new connector?

I understand about having a wago for the three brown cables in the middle as I did this on a previous light fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back