Installing a new light fitting, Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I came to install a new light fitting yesterday, in place of a pendant light fitting.

I removed the pendant fitting, and foolishly did not label any of the cables as I believed I knew what to do. Now the light does not work and nor do two other lights which I presume are fed off this light, although have separate switches.

I have four cables coming into the fitting, one of which I understand to be the switch cable (it has red tape around the black wire). I connected the switch cable to one terminal, all of the neutral cables to another, all the live cables to another and the earth to their own block.

I connected the light fitting's live cable to the switched block, and the earth and neutral to the respective blocks.

The new fitting did not work and now the other two lights are not working.

Can anyone tell me where I have gone wrong?

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the WIKI and FAQ at the top of the Electrics forum and you will understand how it needs to be done. Your next problem will be to identify which of the four cables is which.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back