Replacing existing ceiling rose with new light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace an existing pendant light fitting with a new three light halogen "bar" designed to connect to the existing ceiling rose wiring.

The light I am replacing is a stairway light controlled by two switches, one at the top and the other at the bottom of the stairs. I wrapped together the ceiling rose cables as I disconnected them so that I would preserve the wiring arrangement but despite doing this the new light fitting keeps blowing the 5 amp lighting circuit fuse - so something must be wrong.

Inbound to my old ceiling rose were three twin and earth cables and a twin brown and blue cable. The twin cable was connected to the live terminal in the ceiling rose that was, in turn, connected to the pendant wires leading to the bayonet fitting. I therefore assumed that this was the wiring connecting the two switches providing the "switched live". I have also assumed that of the three twin and earth cables one is an "inbound" from the consumer unit side of the circuit and the other two outbound.

With so many wires coming into the fitting I decided to use a three point terminal block to terminate the inbound wiring in and run a piece of twin an earth to the terminal block inside the light fitting.

The new light has a four point bock connector pre-wired on one side to three halogen spots. One of the four terminates in the fitting for the loop wires and the other three are the live, earth and neutral connections.

This is how i have wired it. I have terminated all of the red wires into one connector on the terminal block, all the blacks in another and all the earths in the third. The brown cable of the twin core I have also connected to the same terminal in the block as the three red wires. I think that gives me a permanent live in the brown cable.

From that terminal block I have connected the black terminal to the Neutral terminal of the light fitting, the earth to the earth and the blue cable from the twin core to the live terminal of the light fitting. I think that is now my switched live.

I have also connected the red terminal to the loop terminal in the light fitting just so as to not have an unconnected wire on the interconnecting twin and core.

When i replace the mains fuse nothing happens but as soon as i switch the light on the mains fuse goes.

What have I done wrong (apart from even start in the first place).

As I mentioned, I thought I had wrapped all of the cables together for reconnection but I had one Black cable standing alone which I assumed had come adrift from the others and so put back with the group. Might it be that one of these twin and core cables runs from the other switch and there should in fact be two switched earths going to the live terminal of the light fitting?

Any help gratefully received - even if it is only "find an electrician"

Sponsored Links
electrics:lighting:chockblockhar2w.gif

As you can see from the diagram, switch is between the switches, so there should only be one cable for a switch at the light fitting.

If you have 3 cables + the switch cable then your suggestion that the 3 cables represent, 1 x cable with live neutral and earth powered, and 2 x cables extending to the next fitting.

Check against the diagram, which should help put you straight quicker than me writing pages 9and pages) :LOL:

Thanks Chris - I have to say - that pretty much looks like what I have done, so I am a bit puzzled.

I will check in the morning that I am right about the two core cable connecting the siwtch. Based on what you have put in the diagram then i should see the same brown and blue cable popping up in the switch downstairs if this is connecting the two - just in case i have made a mistake. If that is the case and given that the light switch is brass does the fact that the cable connecting them haas no earth is this a potential hazard?

Sponsored Links
Yes, an earth is a safety feature designed to protect- more so when the fitting is a conductive material.

Unfortunately unless you find earths in the cable supply power, you should junk the new light and revert to a plastic fitting where the no earth issue isn't as important.

Some sloopy fitters cut earths out of the cables, so do peal back the sheath and see if it has a bare conductor, which when sleeved with green / yellow is the earth or circuit protective conductor (CPC) is pro terms.

There is further issue that even if you find an earth you need to prove this does actually connect in the CU / fuse board via continuity check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back