Problems with loop-in-rose. No wires in centre terminal!

Rebuke
Which is the supply side, and which is the load side please?

Will not be able to post till this evening as I am going round to the house!

It should be marked on the back, it should say LOAD N, LOAD L, SUPPLY L and SUPPLY N - or something to that effect.

If switching off the FCU turns everything off then you will have fuses blowing if you put a 3A fuse in. Ideally you want the FCU to protect the lighting circuit only, with a 3A fuse in it.

Sponsored Links
Rbuke
Is this any help to you in explaining which way I have wired this up?

I reversed the wiring going to the light switch and the neon light is now out when the swith is in the off position.

The 10mm2 cable I have used is from the fuseboard and MCB which you asked me to check. It says on it viz: Proteus 632/2 32amp 240/415V
Type 2 MK.

Underneath this and the other MCBs is a notice saying "On a circuit protected by RCCB 30mAmp Trip.

I wired the supply (mains) side of the cable into one set of terminals on the FCU and the load side (going to the socket) into the other set of terminals, and also put the live and neutral for the loft light into the same set of terminals as the feed to the socket.

When I turn this switch on the loft light goes on. Whn I turn it off the loft light goes off and the neon light on the switch goes out also.

When I switch off the FCU the neon light on it goes out, and both the socket and light are dead. There is a 3 amp fuse fitted in the FCU and I have used the socket for an electric drill without it blowing the fuse.

Could you tell me please if this wiring is now safe to use?

Before I left the house I switched the current off to this circuit at the fuse board until I got a reply

Sorry if I don't respond till tomorrow, but I have to shut the shop at 7pm

PS
I have done the wiring exactly the way ban-all-sheds depicted in his latest diagram!! That is exactly what I have done!! Cable from consumer unit connected to one set of terminals on the FCU and another piece of cable connected to the other set of terminals on the FCU terminating in the socket and also wired the light cable into these same terminals supplying the socket.

Please excuse me if I have seemed exceedingly thick everybody!

it sounds ok..

the problem is that you have a 3A fuse protecting the socket..

anything above about 690W will blow the fuse..

you can change the light switch to a switched fused spur and fit it with a 3A fuse, then change the existing FCU to 13A..

It's cabled in 1.5mm² - just put a 13A fuse in and make sure the luminaire has a bayonet or Edison screw lampholder.

Sponsored Links
I wish to thank everybody who took the time and trouble to contribute to the posts I made on this thread. It is much appreciated!

PS
ban-all-sheds.
I take it that by luminaire you mean the light?
It is a 5! fluorescent fitting with bayonet cap tubes.

I'm pretty sure that light would be fine on a 13A circuit.

You wouldn't be able to have the large banks of fluorescents that you see in commercial premises if you were limited to 6A circuits.

Or am I wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back