New ceiling light to existing wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for any help you can give.

I am trying to fit a new ceiling lamp to the existing location in the centre of the room. The new lamp has a terminal block with a simple live/neutral/earth connection block.
When I look at the existing wiring there are three two-core cables coming out of the ceiling. The red wire from each cable disappears back through the hole in the ceiling, the black wire from each connects to the existing light fitting, two go to the terminal marked 'blue' and one to the terminal marked 'brown'. There is no wire going to the earth terminal.
How can I use this existing wiring to fit my new light fitting?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Erm . . . well, you'd connect the new lamp as the old one was connected. I cant see where you're having difficulty, to be honest! Someone has already identified the loop cables by tucking them away (tut tut) so all you have there is SL and N, making your job of swapping very easy!

What I am concerned about it earthing. Does this new light require an earth connection? If so it MUST be connected to earth. If there is no earth on your lighting circuit, its back to the shops with you, i'm afraid. ;)

Thanks crafty. Sorry to appear so stupid. :oops: In fact, it was the lack of an earth wire that was bothering me most. There is an earth terminal on the lamp fitting so, as you say, I'll have to take it back. As I said earlier, there is an unused earth terminal on the existing fitting, I suppose there are some fittings out there that don't require an earth connection?

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back